FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Our Newest Score: Ed Langbein Coconut Server
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Our Newest Score: Ed Langbein Coconut Server
Sailor Curt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-29 7:30 pm   Permalink

While traveling from Seattle, Washington to Altanta, Georgia recently, we made some great tiki scores.

One of them was a coconut punch/serving bowl with a dozen matching coconut cups.

These were created by an artist from Italy by the name of Ed Langbein.

We don't know much about this set, other than the fact that we absolutely fell in love with it the moment we laid eyes on it!

Sailor Curt & Melissa

[ This Message was edited by: Sailor Curt 2008-05-29 20:21 ]

View Profile of Sailor Curt Send a personal message to Sailor Curt  Email Sailor Curt Goto the website of Sailor Curt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-29 8:05 pm   Permalink

Wow...that is really beautiful. I'm sure someone will be along to give you some info on your marvelous find.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-29 8:09 pm   Permalink

SCORE! that really is amazing, I've never seen a coconut bowl like that!

the rind on the mugs looks really realistic in the photos.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sailor Curt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-29 8:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-29 20:09, harro wrote:
SCORE! that really is amazing, I've never seen a coconut bowl like that!

the rind on the mugs looks really realistic in the photos.

I know, just looking at them makes my mouth water for coconut!

These are either ceramic or some sort of heavy pottery. The large bowl weighs around five or six pounds and each of the cups is probably close to a pound or slightly less (they feel really heavy in your hand).

If anyone knows anything about this set and the artist, please post details for us.

Thanks!

View Profile of Sailor Curt Send a personal message to Sailor Curt  Email Sailor Curt Goto the website of Sailor Curt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-30 02:05 am   Permalink

I have one of those coconut mugs, but i never knew there was a big bowl to go with it.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 02:26 am   Permalink

Kurt, it's great to see you & Melissa on TC again!

That coconut set is amazing, I'll bet you can't wait to throw a party and make good use of it!

Cheers!

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sailor Curt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-30 05:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-30 02:26, Tikiwahine wrote:
Kurt, it's great to see you & Melissa on TC again!

That coconut set is amazing, I'll bet you can't wait to throw a party and make good use of it!

Cheers!

Thanks, Tikiwahine, its great to be back. I was on chemotherapy for almost two years and had almost zero energy to do anything much at all, let alone be social. I'm crazily happy to report that all is well now.

And yes, we are going to plan an entire party around this new coconut set!

Aloha,

Curt

tikisobayli
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 11:25 am   Permalink

Congrats on the purchase. I take it you found that set in Atlanta as one like it has been floating around various antique stores/shows. We love the set but it was always priced out of our budget. I'm so glad this set went to a fellow TC'er!

Enjoy and hopefully someone will have some more history on this set. The detail put into these pieces is amazing!

View Profile of tikisobayli Send a personal message to tikisobayli  Email tikisobayli Goto the website of tikisobayli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sailor Curt
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-30 1:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-30 11:25, tikisobayli wrote:
Congrats on the purchase. I take it you found that set in Atlanta as one like it has been floating around various antique stores/shows. We love the set but it was always priced out of our budget. I'm so glad this set went to a fellow TC'er!

Enjoy and hopefully someone will have some more history on this set. The detail put into these pieces is amazing!

Thanks, and yes, we found the set in Atlanta. The shop owner told us that he had bought it at an estate sale and had only had it on the shelf for sale for a few weeks when we discovered it.

Curt

dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-30 5:36 pm   Permalink

its fantastic you're back in the swing of things, Curt.. hope to see you and Melissa soon~ i cant wait to have a frosty drink out of your awesome coconut punch set. i too, have one cup, but didnt know there was a whole set.. very cool. i'm thinking Coconauts... mmmmm.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-05-30 6:38 pm   Permalink

You need one of these to go with the set.
Great find!
http://tikiroom.com/img/4035x45ec66e6.jpg

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 11:09 pm   Permalink

Those are a really well made set- heavy,italian quality and very nice detail.
They just don't make things now, like they did back when.That goes for cars,
furniture, toys etc.There is another company called Holt Howard that made
really sweet coconut bowls with great detail.They both have a little
different outer texture detail to them.As a matter of fact,I found some
character that has a yellow set of the Holt Howard up for auction right
now!Both of the sets and their manufactures are rare and don't come around
that often.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160245893176&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

Cheers,
Trader Bill

[ This Message was edited by: 1961surf 2008-05-30 23:11 ]

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-31 3:02 pm   Permalink

Looks like Ed Langbein also made a shallow coconut dish to go with the bowls.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-31 10:20 pm   Permalink

I have the bowl and 6 of the cups. I'm very happy with my set but don't know anything about the origin. Now I've got to keep an eye out for the shallow dish. Coolness.

- fm

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-31 10:32 pm   Permalink

Those are very cool! I'm gonna have to start hunting for a set.

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation