FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving what kind of wood??
what kind of wood??
kolidra
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-30 1:39 pm   Permalink

When I was at the International Market at Oahu 18 months ago, a man was carving a tiki. The wood had a centre of a dark brown (nearly black) with the outside ring of the wood pine colored. I purchased a similar tiki but did not ask the wood variety. What variety would that be?

Mahalo fron Canada

View Profile of kolidra Send a personal message to kolidra      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-30 2:10 pm   Permalink

I have a tiki of similar color from Tiki Master, and it is carved out of Hau wood - a native plan from Hawaii. Maybe that is what you have?

http://www.canoeplants.com/hau.html

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kolidra
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-30 4:02 pm   Permalink

could it possibly be "Siamese cassia"? Since ater looking often on the web, this is the closest match. If there any local Hawaiians out there, maybe someone knows this man and would know the wood he uses. Any answers from anybody is much appreciated.
Mahalo

View Profile of kolidra Send a personal message to kolidra      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-31 08:20 am   Permalink

Welcome to TC Kolidra, I hope we can find your answer. Could you post a picture of the tiki so we might be able to ID the wood?
Thanks.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kolidra
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-02 10:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-31 08:20, Benzart wrote:
Welcome to TC Kolidra, I hope we can find your answer. Could you post a picture of the tiki so we might be able to ID the wood?
Thanks.

Here is the Tiki. does anybody know what king of wood it is? There is no paint on it.

Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-02 1:19 pm   Permalink

Looks very close to Pheasant Wood, or maybe Macassar Ebony. Argentine Afata Wood is lighter but has the same qualities. Can't see the grain in the photo so I can't be sure.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kolidra
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-02 5:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-02 13:19, Tikilizard wrote:
Looks very close to Pheasant Wood, or maybe Macassar Ebony. Argentine Afata Wood is lighter but has the same qualities. Can't see the grain in the photo so I can't be sure.

The closest match on the web was Siamese Cassia (Pheasant wood). That helps alot. Just what I was leaning towards. Thanks. Also, does anybody know the man that carves at the International market in Waikiki?...and the wood he uses as well?

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation