FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Kelbo's, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Kelbo's, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 4:09 pm   Permalink

Here's a vintage womans T-shirt from Kelbo's coco bowl.
Kelbo's was prob one of the most unique and enigmatic of any Polynesian restaurant. Every booth had an individual character to it. Lot's of hand made decor was everywhere. One of Eli Hedley's masterpieces.

and a close up

One of the few pieces of womens clothing I've personally purchased for myself.

View Profile of kiara Send a personal message to kiara      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 4:14 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure what this means though....
"IItywimwvbmad"

View Profile of kiara Send a personal message to kiara      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JONPAUL
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 5:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-16 15:30, Dustycajun wrote:
Picked up this nice matchbox from Kelbo's with a Moai rendering.

Those sure look like cropped versions of the photos for the eBay auction that I won yesterday:

FIBERGLASS JUNGLE on Luxuria

View Profile of JONPAUL Send a personal message to JONPAUL  Goto the website of JONPAUL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 5:38 pm   Permalink

Ha! We were bidding against each other, I hate that. I got a second chance offer after the sale and snapped one up as well (for a few bucks less). JP, you ever seen this one before?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2013-01-16 10:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-16 16:14, kiara wrote:
"IItywimwvbmad"

I think that "V" is actually a "Y", so in that case, if I tell you what it means will you buy me a drink?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 10:41 pm   Permalink

Yep, that old school bar humor, pure genius, gets me every time.

JP and Dc, that's an unusual one for Kelbo's, so stylized, so uncartoony! You sure someone didn't print those up like counterfeit dollars?

Kiara, I still have that T-shirt somewhere...the print-on having disintegrated much through regular wear. Here's the enamel pin to match it:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-16 11:00 pm   Permalink

...and with the double resin flower lamp flashback tonight, let me post some of the shots from this venerable place so far not on this thread:

Kelbo's forest of beachcomber lamps and menu light box below:

The famed menu light boxes at each booth:

The amazing Bob Hale mural on the side of the place:

(Didn't people feel they were destroying ART when they painted this over?)

Jukebox, back door resin window, and famed mug-inspiring "Alfred Newman" Tiki:

...which I found in DJ Cyrano's backyard many years later:

...in need of some restoration:

Now Kiara: Your resin window?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-17 10:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-16 17:31, JONPAUL wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-16 15:30, Dustycajun wrote:
Picked up this nice matchbox from Kelbo's with a Moai rendering.

Those sure look like cropped versions of the photos for the eBay auction that I won yesterday:

That looks like it might be a rendering of a black Kelbo's mug.

This location is way too undocumented.
Sven, I'll have to dig that Resin wall panel out and take some pics.

kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-26 8:07 pm   Permalink

I pulled this image off of an old thread here. This is one of the old resin wall dividers from Kelbo's. I took this photo at my previous house I lived in. There is a big overhang from the roof, so it never got weather damage. It's since been moved into storage in my garage. I rescued this out of the dumpster behind Kelbo's right after they closed. Senior Amore told me about his rescue of artifacts from the Kelbo's dumpster so I started making trips to the back parking lot everyday until I found this. It weighed a ton but I somehow found the strength to lift it into my tiny car.

It's made with some kind of opaque resin with colored resin dripped in to make the details. The top seam to be colored resin chunks (like the old lamps) embedded into the clear resin.

kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-26 8:14 pm   Permalink

Here's a few images that need to be in this locating tiki thread.

And any info on the other 3 locations?

I'm not sure if this site has ever been mentioned here. There are some really amazing comments from people who used to go to Kelbo's, including Joey Cheehzy (Papa Tango?) And some incredible info on artist Bob Hale. It also has some fun info on old Los Angeles restaurants. Including Wan Q.

http://www.oldlarestaurants.com/kelbos/

kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-26 8:48 pm   Permalink

Hakalugi... I owe you a drink sometime.

Quote:

On 2013-01-16 22:24, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-01-16 16:14, kiara wrote:
"IItywimwvbmad"

I think that "V" is actually a "Y", so in that case, if I tell you what it means will you buy me a drink?

congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-10 1:24 pm   Permalink

I posted this just now in the Bahooka RIP thread, but realized it should really go here.

Here's video of my friend Tom Holland (aka Monte Vista) and band Lovingkindness (featuring my brother Blair on keyboards) playing a wedding at Kelbo's Coco Bowl room in September 1991.

Lovingkindness played again, this time at the front bar, in late December 1991. I ended up riding up from Long Beach with a woman who I then began dating, and married less than 2 years later (it will be our 20th anniversary in August), so there will always be a special place in my heart for Kelbo's.

Lovingkindness was a "lounge" band that was particularly warped and sometimes caused confrontations (if you went to their shows at Bogart's in LB opening for the Dickies and Vandals, you would understand), but predated the more authentic lounge movement of the mid-90s, so sorry if anyone's musical sensibilities are damaged!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldV99KsdVKE

PS - Though I was there, but the video is not mine. PS - Swamp Zombies and not yet Tiki Tones Josh Agle and Steeve Jacobs were there that night, but I haven't spotted them, or myself for that matter, in the video--though I haven't watched from start to finish. The Coco Bowl room was, of course, not the most "Tiki" looking part of Kelbo's, and the videographer didn't capture anything else, but here you go...)

Caltiki Brent

[ This Message was edited by: congawa 2013-03-10 13:25 ]

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-04-01 5:21 pm   Permalink

I saw a horror movie from the 80's that has a scene shot inside Kelbo's. Can't remember the name right now

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-02 09:05 am   Permalink

I think it was called "The Curse of LovingKindness"

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-05-11 06:34 am   Permalink

Today in the Los Angeles Times:

http://www.latimes.com/features/home/la-lh-jay-griffith-venice-landscape-design-20130507,0,3821706.story

A landscape designer uses the old Kelbo's fountain in his test garden. The fountain doesn't look tiki, but it's interesting to see where things end up.

Fountain turned planter

Anyone familiar with the Los Angeles restaurant scene of the 1950s and ’60s may remember the Kelbo’s Hawaiian barbecue chain. When the Pico Avenue location closed, Griffith bought its oversized outdoor water fountain. The pedestal and saucer are now a dramatic focal element of the studio garden, reincarnated as a beautiful succulent planter. “It’s like a big chalice,” Griffith said. Planted with a mass of the upright red pencil tree (a cultivar of Euphorbia tirucallicalled Sticks on Fire) and cascading clumps of copper-tone stonecrop (Sedum nussbaumerianum), the piece gives the illusion of spraying and spilling water.

[ This Message was edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-05-11 07:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikilongbeach 2013-05-11 07:10 ]

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation