FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Kelbo's, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Kelbo's, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-05-11 09:13 am   Permalink

While searching through the Los Angeles Times online archives I found a 2008 article written by Steve Harvey (not the comedian) about LA's 'whimsical architecture'.
Harvey's Then and Now articles in the LA Times were a favorite of mine when I moved to LA. Now he writes a column in The Grunion. A weekly Long Beach community paper.

At the Kelbo's location on Pico one of the tikis was a repurposed pickle that used to adorn the roof of Pickle Bill's restaurant in West L.A. Unfortunately there isn't a picture.

www.latimes.com/travel/la-trw-then18-2008may18,0,163059.column

[ Edited by: Bora Boris - Fixed link. - 2013-05-11 09:55 ]

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-07 1:17 pm   Permalink

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-03 10:51 pm   Permalink

Just saw the 1969 film The Gay Deceivers* which has a small scene shot inside a Tiki joint (with actual tikis visible) and another scene shot outside of Kelbo's. Don't know if the interior was Kelbo's or a set.

*Amusing enough farce to watch with some really swell period sets.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-04 10:02 am   Permalink

If you can post a frame capture or two from that interior scene, I could tell you.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-02 8:18 pm   Permalink

The Go-Go's record label signing party at Kelbos, circa 1981.

Under Kelbo's tin roofs, stuffed macaws and dried banana peels, the Go-Go’s and Copeland signed that sacred document, the long-term recording contract. And the flashbulbs started popping. 

Said lead guitarist Charlotte: I feel really secure, happy now. It makes more sense to be on a smaller label who’ll pay a lot of attention to you.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-03 07:27 am   Permalink

Found this great old article on Kelbo's in a 1957 edition of Mechanix Illustrated. It tells the story of how Kelbo's started on a shoestring.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation