FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Is This The Elusive Cobra's Fang Mug?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Is This The Elusive Cobra's Fang Mug?
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-02 4:34 pm   Permalink

I found a couple of these a while back. No markings and does not look like the mug in the Islander menu.

Any help out there would be appreciated. Mahalo....

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-02 6:33 pm   Permalink

It certainly looks like the one in the case at Oceanic Arts.

A couple of months ago, Bob was telling us how they were selling them at OA years ago. They just weren't moving, so they marked them down to $.39 a piece.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-02 9:49 pm   Permalink

Thanks Kate for that info. It's been a while since I was at OA and I usually look at that case but I must be blind as I don't remember seeing them. I found those mugs a couple years ago and It only dawned on me what they might be after looking at the menu today.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-02 11:49 pm   Permalink

I also think the one you found is an example of the Oceanic Arts mugs, as Tiki Kate was saying.

Bob still has most of the original mold for those mugs and a couple of months ago I started a list at the counter. He said that if enough people expressed interest and signed in, he might see about making some more! I only got about 5 people to sign up, though. I really need to start a separate thread to get that going, but I've been really busy lately...

There is another Cobra's Fang mug sitting on a shelf at the Tiki Ti which is closer to the menu depiction. It can be seen on their website. It has the head that coils over and appears to be spitting venom over the lip of the mug. Here's a shot from their website:

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-03 06:19 am   Permalink

Now that's a cool mug!

Al-ii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-03 09:05 am   Permalink

These aren't very good pictures, but, you can see the mugs.
Taken at OA

View Profile of Al-ii Send a personal message to Al-ii  Email Al-ii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-05 1:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks Al. The other mug is a darker green. No chips or cracks.

Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-06 09:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

A Semi-Sweet Dink?

Is this correct or a type-o?
I envy you, I've been looking for a Cobra's fang for years.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2008-06-06 09:43 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-17 8:18 pm   Permalink

That's so cool! I've been curious about potential snake mugs out there ever since I saw this menu from the Mauna Loa in Mexico City:

The mug pictured above it actually exists, so I've been hopeful that the snake one does, too. Best I've been able to figure, the Mauna Loa Mexico mugs were manufactured by a unique manufacturer (some mugs are marked "Enrique Gerra" which was a ceramicist in Mexico City). The menu design is very stylized, of course, but I'd love to see a snake mug like that one, with the head sticking straight up. This mug gives me hope that one of these babies really exists!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-06-17 9:20 pm   Permalink

Here is another shot of the Tiki-Ti Cobra's Fang mug that I've borrowed from their website.

www.tiki-ti.com

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-22 05:13 am   Permalink

On Ebay right now, I bet someone would bid on this.

Here

Buy It Now only $12.50

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2008-08-22 05:15 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-22 09:01 am   Permalink

Cool mug...but it's a rattlesnake, not a cobra.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-22 2:40 pm   Permalink

Man that would be a cool mug to have....
Especially where I live.. I've killed over 3 dozen rattle snakes since I moved out west.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pa'akiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-22 6:45 pm   Permalink

I found this it has no makers mark but you can tell it's old. has anyone seen one could this be the real thing.

View Profile of pa'akiki Send a personal message to pa'akiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-22 7:00 pm   Permalink

Wow! Never seen this baby before in my Tiki life! I never thought that that famous menu illustration was such an accurate rendering of the real thing! --That, or some fun-loving mug maker here has made one directly from that illustration, to elicit reactions such as mine.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation