Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Huge Float found
Huge Float found
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-03 7:59 pm   Permalink

After buying a very nice, big float in Georgia with Basement Kahuna, we came across a huge float this weekend. It's not in the budget, but you can't say no when these things come along. When will I find a vintage float, this big, this close to home?
Okay, so this isn't my best picture. The floats left me stunned I guess. The one on the left is 11 inches. The new one on the right is 17. The original beachball!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-03 9:08 pm   Permalink

Not bad....not bad at all. That looks like a pretty old float, too....am I right?

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-04 09:09 am   Permalink

Wow Swanky!
Any man that can swing his balls..ur..umm..floats to his shoulders is ok by me.

(You guys knew someone was going to make a comment like that, so I thought I'd get it over with....haha)

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-04 4:30 pm   Permalink

All indications are it's old. The float itself has an anchor mark on the bottom. I wonder how big the net was floats this size held. Must have been huge!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-05 10:02 am   Permalink

Score Swanky!
I've got a picture of my Grandmother polishing some that size. cira 1940. Will be bringing many re-prints of my Grandfathers past to Hukilau.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-03-05 10:34 am   Permalink

I've seen little floats with an anchor embossed in the bottom, at flea markets here, there must be gass float sites out on the web that could give us a clue to the maker.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-05 2:19 pm   Permalink

good job! they are plentyful here on Hawaii but still pull big coconuts if you plan on taking one home. 11 inches run between $75 to 150 depending on the trade mark and net quality. Or you wait for a nice three days worth of rain and wind then go to the wind ward side of da island and da north shore and go beachcombing and you will fo sho get lucky!

you might get them cheaper there on da mainland.

AUW-WIEEE love da 17 incher!

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiStitch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-03-11 4:19 pm   Permalink

Here's some 12" going on Ebay for 29.99 (Buy it Now)

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=weence&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

View Profile of TikiStitch Send a personal message to TikiStitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-11 4:36 pm   Permalink

They just don't have the "feel" of the old ones...(as Swanky would probably attest, he likes old ones, too). The reproductions are cheaper by a longshot, but with little personality compared to the genuine article...I have bought the repops in the past to fill holes in the decor...we have fourteen 9 to 16-inch floats in our bar, of which only 7 are old, but the thrill of finding those, especially with a strange pulled pommel or old stamp in the glass is so much better. One should save 60 bucks and buy one old one instead of two new...They'll appreciate in value to boot but the new ones won't.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiStitch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-03-11 5:09 pm   Permalink

I was wondering why they were so cheap.

I went ahead and bought some anyway. Poor college student = non vintage =).

View Profile of TikiStitch Send a personal message to TikiStitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-11 6:32 pm   Permalink

That's cool though...they still give you the basic atmosphere.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation