[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tufa Tikis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tufa Tikis
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 6:07 pm   Permalink

Wow! See...you came to the right place. Lots of good advice around here. I Like what Benzart said, just do what you're gonna do, and you'll be alright. You'll find a natural progression.
As far as wood...Man! You're probably surrounded by it! You can find so much character in the grains of various woods, instead of the same ol' same ol' palms. (no offense palm people!) I started out with basswood, which is great for carving, but just a straight forward kinda grain. Now I look for stuff like red cedar, my fave, which carves just as easy, but with fantastic natural art-beauty built right in!
Keep doing the ones your doing now, they look great, especially the tiki torch holders, love 'em, but keep on trying some new stuff.
And above all...buy the "book of tiki"!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/382286417X/tikiroomcom/104-2641688-2647147

Keep us posted!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alexdog1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-30 6:10 pm   Permalink

Thanks and I have ordered The Book Of Tiki .

View Profile of alexdog1 Send a personal message to alexdog1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 5:26 pm   Permalink

Cool!...now order "tiki Modern"!!!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 10:31 am   Permalink

I like them! specially the third one, they are getting more and more interesting! keep going! Congrats!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijohn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-29 1:32 pm   Permalink

Thanks Alexdog. I went out bought the ingredients and made my first one. for the record 8 qt of Vermuculite, Moss, concrete and water gave me about a two foot high by 10" diameter tikie.

Carving the tiki is fairly easy. You have to time it right. When i initially started carving, it was like working with stiff dirt. It was a good time to remove large quantities of hypertufa. A couple days later it was hard enough to smooth the details .

I'm working on a new one as we speak.

View Profile of tikijohn Send a personal message to tikijohn  Email tikijohn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alexdog1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-01 05:40 am   Permalink

It looks great. I've found that I've had to complete the carving in one day so that it didn't get too hard. I've tried putting the cardboard tube back over it to keep moisture in overnight. You can play with the mixture some to give you a different look. Putting in more moss will give you a browner look and is also easier to carve. The good thing is that you can experiment and not worry about losing a big investment. Keep up the good work.

View Profile of alexdog1 Send a personal message to alexdog1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 7:10 pm   Permalink

Cool keep them coming.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijohn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-10 3:36 pm   Permalink

Here another one used 12 qts of everything to make a 26" by 8" tiki. threw some chickwire for support.... unfortunately, some was sticking through after the carving

View Profile of tikijohn Send a personal message to tikijohn  Email tikijohn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation