FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Cruzan 2 year old light rum becomes 14 month
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Cruzan 2 year old light rum becomes 14 month
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-05 11:32 am   Permalink

Cruzan 2 year old light rum is now a 14 month old rum. The change in taste is noticable, too. There are still a lot of the old batches with the "2" displayed proudly on the bottle still in stores, so stock up.

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-05 11:41 am   Permalink

So the 14 month old is no good???

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo stu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-05 12:02 pm   Permalink

So, I have to wait 10 months to drink it?

View Profile of bamboo stu Send a personal message to bamboo stu  Goto the website of bamboo stu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-05 1:17 pm   Permalink

Is it still better than Bacardi?

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-05 1:57 pm   Permalink

That's odd. The Cruzan web site still lists Cruzan 2 year. Are you sure the 14 month is not a separate product?

Is the 5 year now 35 months?

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2008-06-05 14:00 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2008-06-05 6:08 pm   Permalink

It changed some time ago due to demand. The Cruzan "Dark" is 14 months as well now, as it's the same product with caramel coloring.

"So the 14 month old is no good???"

No, it's fine. A slight decline, but I challenge you to taste the difference once it's in a drink.

"So, I have to wait 10 months to drink it?"

You know that rum doesn't age in glass, right?

"Is it still better than Bacardi?"

oh god yes.

"Are you sure the 14 month is not a separate product?"

Yes. 2 year is gone. Look for the highly misleading new label that says "Aged VIII" as though it's eight years old, and then in the VERY small print says "Eight generations of distillers". Very lame.

"Is the 5 year now 35 months?"

The Five year (Estate Diamond) is apparently going to be discontinued, which is a terrible shame, so definitely stock up on that one.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo stu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-05 7:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-05 18:08, martiki wrote:

"So, I have to wait 10 months to drink it?"

You know that rum doesn't age in glass, right?

It sure doesn't, especially once it's poured into my glass. Tee hee!!

Geez, I'm a pain in the a$$.

View Profile of bamboo stu Send a personal message to bamboo stu  Goto the website of bamboo stu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-05 8:25 pm   Permalink

I agree with Martiki if the cocktail is made with 3 or 4 ingredients. But, I'll take that challenge on a Mojito, though. It's not "bad" at all, just less taste. Somewhat diminished in flavor and body which made it so special for a rum in its price range. When my stockpile of 2 year is gone, will I buy the 14 month? Sure! but, I'll miss an old friend. Bacardi ligth rum, to me has no taste.

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-06 06:31 am   Permalink

There is a discussion on this at the Ministry Of Rum as well:

http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1587

[ This Message was edited by: Little Fragrant Tiare 2008-06-06 07:52 ]

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2008-06-06 6:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-05 20:25, bewarethe151 wrote:
I agree with Martiki if the cocktail is made with 3 or 4 ingredients. But, I'll take that challenge on a Mojito, though. It's not "bad" at all, just less taste. Somewhat diminished in flavor and body which made it so special for a rum in its price range. When my stockpile of 2 year is gone, will I buy the 14 month? Sure! but, I'll miss an old friend. Bacardi ligth rum, to me has no taste.

I don't know how many ingredients your Mojito has, but I did do a side-by-side tonight and the difference is there, but slight to my taste.

Cruzan is a rum distilled to a very high proof and then barrel aged, so what you're starting with is a very light, nearly neutral spirit. The flavor your finding in the rum is almost solely the effect of the wood. After aging, it's charcoal filtered to remove the color from aging. This process also strips some flavor. They then add a slight amount of caramel to give it that pale straw color, so that there's consistency to the products appearance. In fairness, eight months difference in aging is not a small thing in a tropical climate, however the charcoal filtration somewhat mutes that difference.

If you're looking for another good value in a white rum, try the Flor De Cana which also benefits from quite a long time on oak.

Bacardi silver is aged by law for one year, but in stainless steel, which has no effect- hence it's complete worthlessness.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2008-06-06 6:54 pm   Permalink

Oh, also upon closer inspection I am wrong about the dark rum- it is still 2 years.

Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-06 7:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-06 18:52, martiki wrote:
Bacardi silver is aged by law for one year, but in stainless steel, which has no effect- hence it's complete worthlessness.

Aged in stainless steel?? ah..so that`s why its so tasteless........

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-06 10:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-05 18:08, martiki wrote:

"Is it still better than Bacardi?"

oh god yes.

my point, exactly.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-07 08:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-06 18:54, martiki wrote:
Oh, also upon closer inspection I am wrong about the dark rum- it is still 2 years.

Thanks for that clarification Martin. I was just going to ask you about that because although the dark rum has the new "Aged VIII" label, it still says "aged a minimum of two years".

And I agree that the new label is highly misleading. I held up a bottle to Trish last night and asked her how old she thought the rum was. She said "8 years?"

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-07 11:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-06 18:52, martiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-06-05 20:25, bewarethe151 wrote:

I don't know how many ingredients your Mojito has, but I did do a side-by-side tonight and the difference is there, but slight to my taste.

Cruzan is a rum distilled to a very high proof and then barrel aged, so what you're starting with is a very light, nearly neutral spirit. The flavor your finding in the rum is almost solely the effect of the wood. After aging, it's charcoal filtered to remove the color from aging. This process also strips some flavor. They then add a slight amount of caramel to give it that pale straw color, so that there's consistency to the products appearance. In fairness, eight months difference in aging is not a small thing in a tropical climate, however the charcoal filtration somewhat mutes that difference.

If you're looking for another good value in a white rum, try the Flor De Cana which also benefits from quite a long time on oak.

Martiki, you are so right about the FDC 4. (You're correct, my mojito has 5 ingredients, but only 1 rum and 1 fruit)It's my Mojito favorite when I want it a little drier. And, it's cheap! Good call. Rhum St. James Blanc which I order 2 cases at a time from Europe is a grand slam. I've had good luck with the Montecristo blanco, too. Around here, it's only $9.00 a bottle. With me, it's not about nitpicking a product just for something to do in between good cocktails. It's more about having lived for a long time and seeing products gradually slip in quality. For Cruzan, it's a matter of increasing volume in a market segment which isn't too picky. I hope that this shift in aging is their last and I will be happy to finish my days with the 14 month as "good buy". For my favorite light rum, it's Havana Club Anejo Blanco. But, I pay $33.00 per 1.14 litre bottle! I always keep a case on hand, but, I am ashamed to admit that it's only my "inner circle" of friends for which I crack those! The general mob gets the Cruzan.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation