FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Cruzan 2 year old light rum becomes 14 month
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Cruzan 2 year old light rum becomes 14 month
Registered Astronaut
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-07 3:20 pm   Permalink

a little of topic, but seeing as Martin's on the phone, does anybody know about heat and alcohol and negative side effects? I keep my good liquor in a bar in the living room, but my everyday stuff, which is most of my mixing rums (including that Cruzan 2 year) in a cabinet above the fridge. On really hot days (i have no AC) the fridge works extra hard, giving off a lot of heat which rises and warms the cabinet. Some hot days my rums are like probably near body temperature. I know it ruined my chambord for sure. I know heat ruins beer too, but I can't seem to tell if it's hurting my rums. It makes the ice melt a lot faster, which sucks.

View Profile of Registered Astronaut Send a personal message to Registered Astronaut      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bewarethe151
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-07 5:02 pm   Permalink

Not a good spot for storage of any bottles which you intend to keep more than, say, a month. The cycle from warm to cool, warm to cool, ... aids the change of a molecule. Certainly, liquors are the most effected with the breakdown of sugar. With spirits, the amount of air in the bottle (how much has been drunk) is a major factor in stability and the ill effects of thermo-cycling. A full bottle is better suited for storage in adverse conditions than one which is half full. A stable cool spot is best for long term storage. One side note, direct sunlight, even in a cool place is bad, too.

View Profile of bewarethe151 Send a personal message to bewarethe151      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2008-06-07 6:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-07 17:02, bewarethe151 wrote:
Not a good spot for storage of any bottles which you intend to keep more than, say, a month. The cycle from warm to cool, warm to cool, ... aids the change of a molecule. Certainly, liquors are the most effected with the breakdown of sugar. With spirits, the amount of air in the bottle (how much has been drunk) is a major factor in stability and the ill effects of thermo-cycling. A full bottle is better suited for storage in adverse conditions than one which is half full. A stable cool spot is best for long term storage. One side note, direct sunlight, even in a cool place is bad, too.

All true- especially pronounced as mentioned with a hi-sugar product, regardless of proof. Best just to put them into a low dark cabinet away from a heat source. Better still to drink them, thus providing the excuse to get more, which will have less air in the bottle, at least for a while. Then repeat. It's a vicious circle.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-10 08:47 am   Permalink

Crap. I just recently got a new bottle of Cruzan White to do my own comparison to Mt Gay White. No wonder the Cruzan didn't taste as good as my last bottle. I checked the label yesterday and it is the new 14 month.

Regardless, Cruzan is still one of the best rum values on the shelf, and I'll continue to buy it.

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-11 10:22 am   Permalink

After seeing this thread, I finally got by my liquor store to see if they had any more of the 2 yr white. They had 6 1.75L bottles ($16.49), so I cleaned 'em out. Still have 9 750ml bottles of white 2 yr, but at $11.49, I passed.
All their Cruzan dark still has the old 2 yr label.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-11 12:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-11 10:22, Limbo Lizard wrote:
After seeing this thread, I finally got by my liquor store to see if they had any more of the 2 yr white. They had 6 1.75L bottles ($16.49), so I cleaned 'em out. Still have 9 750ml bottles of white 2 yr, but at $11.49, I passed.
All their Cruzan dark still has the old 2 yr label.

I picked up two 1.75L bottles of the 2 year-old dark for $14.99 each yesterday. That ought to keep me stocked for a few months.

On the other hand, Hors d'Age was selling at the same store for $55. OUCH.

[ This Message was edited by: BrickHorn 2008-06-11 12:43 ]

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brenda's Tiki Hut
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-11 2:08 pm   Permalink

Dang sneaky bastards! I feel like reenacting the Boston Tea Party. We should outlaw fine print in advertising.

View Profile of Brenda's Tiki Hut Send a personal message to Brenda's Tiki Hut  Email Brenda's Tiki Hut     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-30 4:14 pm   Permalink

What's going on with Cruzan? There have been two more re-designs of the label, since the initial change that prompted this topic. The ones I saw today say, "Aged at least 2 years" on the dark, and "Aged at least 1 year" on the light. So, they may have dropped another 2 months off the aging of their light rum.
There was another label on the dark, between this one and the one that had "Aged VII" on it. I had planned to take a comparison picture of the bottles, next time I restocked. But it had changed again, before I bought one!

(Later) Well, apparently there've been a couple changes of ownership, recently, judging by some
posts about Cruzan at the Ministry of Rum.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2008-12-30 16:21 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-12-31 07:38 am   Permalink

I noticed new labels and a slightly different bottle design on Cruzan white & gold rum bottles at the liquor store yesterday. Labels referred to both as "aged rums." Didn't take a picture. Quality of the rum aside, I liked the new labels and bottles.

And is it me, or has the Coruba label changed a little? I can't confirm it, since I recycled my old bottle before buying the new one, but it seems different to me.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-31 07:46 am   Permalink

I'm pretty sure that "aged at least one year" is simply another way to say "14 months".

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation