FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Room 130 at the Bahia Cabana
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Room 130 at the Bahia Cabana
Jungle Jim & Jennifer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-09 09:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-08 19:08, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Need many guitars!

I'll have acoustic guitar with more or less new strings, acoustic bass that needs a battery, guild electric bass that has way less new strings, bongos, rain tube, conch horn ( only one this year since the other doesn't harmonize worth crap...(right Swanky?) and a strat that's way cool. And of course the bronco-billy bucking spa cooler!

View Profile of Jungle Jim & Jennifer Send a personal message to Jungle Jim & Jennifer  Email Jungle Jim & Jennifer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-09 10:32 am   Permalink

Conch. Dang, I knew I was forgetting to pack something...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-09 12:42 pm   Permalink

Is #130 one of the two penthouse suites? I can't remember, even though I rented one a few years back.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-09 12:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-09 10:32, Swanky wrote:
Conch. Dang, I knew I was forgetting to pack something...

I'll have mine !

Part of the show

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Jim & Jennifer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-09 1:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-09 12:42, Unga Bunga wrote:
Is #130 one of the two penthouse suites? I can't remember, even though I rented one a few years back.

Room 130 is not a penthouse suite. It's located at the top of the stairway coming up from the spa area and before going over the walkway to the next building overlooking the pool. There's a large patio area if front of the room where the jams have taken place during Hukilaus past. It's on the second floor even though the room number indicates it to be on the first floor.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Jim & Jennifer 2008-06-09 13:43 ]

View Profile of Jungle Jim & Jennifer Send a personal message to Jungle Jim & Jennifer  Email Jungle Jim & Jennifer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-09 7:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-09 09:23, Jungle Jim & Jennifer wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-06-08 19:08, Basement Kahuna wrote:
Need many guitars!

I'll have acoustic guitar with more or less new strings, acoustic bass that needs a battery, guild electric bass that has way less new strings, bongos, rain tube, conch horn ( only one this year since the other doesn't harmonize worth crap...(right Swanky?) and a strat that's way cool. And of course the bronco-billy bucking spa cooler!

What kinda batteries ya need for yer base cuz I can play and will bring sum...?!?

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-09 7:48 pm   Permalink

Hula Cat is in the Cabana, bringing the cool Vermont air. Glad to see you're coming man! Just hold the tuna this time.

Jungle J&J - I'll certainly be swinging by to meet you guys. Looks like 130 is the place to be.

T-minus 3 days and counting...

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
don-tiki

Posted: 2008-06-09 8:27 pm   Permalink

Hi, I don't want to hijack this thread, but it seemed the most appropriate place to ask my question since the posters seem to be of the musician variety. What do you folks think about recording the jams? I am coming to my first Hukilau and it sounds like there will be a lot of informal music. I am considering bringing a small mp3 recorder and mic, but I wasn't sure whether the musicians would care. With actual performances, it's generally easy to ask beforehand if a band minds, but in a casual situation (which the after-hours sounds like) I often find that it can be disruptive to try to interrupt and get permission.
I was also a little unsure if there would just be too much background noise to make a good recording.
Also, it would be a pretty easy matter to burn a few copies of the recordings to cd while at the Hukilau so that they would be readily available to all.
Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks, Don

View Profile of don-tiki Send a personal message to don-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-09 8:45 pm   Permalink

Speaking for myself (and only if I'm invited, Jungle Jim) -you're welcome to record anything I play and hopefully I'll have some back-up, via other room party musician/attendees. I'll (try to) be debuting tunes from my CD 'Brad Howland and his Hillbilly Surf Punks--Legends in Their Blown Minds'

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-09 9:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-09 20:27, don-tiki wrote:
Hi, I don't want to hijack this thread, but it seemed the most appropriate place to ask my question since the posters seem to be of the musician variety. What do you folks think about recording the jams? I am coming to my first Hukilau and it sounds like there will be a lot of informal music. I am considering bringing a small mp3 recorder and mic, but I wasn't sure whether the musicians would care. With actual performances, it's generally easy to ask beforehand if a band minds, but in a casual situation (which the after-hours sounds like) I often find that it can be disruptive to try to interrupt and get permission.
I was also a little unsure if there would just be too much background noise to make a good recording.
Also, it would be a pretty easy matter to burn a few copies of the recordings to cd while at the Hukilau so that they would be readily available to all.
Anyway, I would like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks, Don

You can record, buf I See any more of THIS....

there is gonna be a Beatdown !

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-10 12:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-07 09:20, Jungle Jennifer wrote:
Well said, all. And I agree with you BK--now we can really immerse ourselves in the Tiki experience. It's going to be one helluva party!

Front row seats at the Cabana are reserved for skinny-dippers!

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-10 04:09 am   Permalink

I've done a lot of live recordings for good acts and not so good and this venue is always very noisy.
Heck the Mar, during performances, was incredibly noisy.
If you don't mind that, I don't think anyone would mind recording the jams.

But if you start shushing people before the pickers start playing you may get doused in orgeat.
Which isn't an entirely bad thing but certainly not beneficial to microphones.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Jim & Jennifer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-10 05:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-09 20:45, Howland wrote:
Speaking for myself (and only if I'm invited, Jungle Jim) -you're welcome to record anything I play and hopefully I'll have some back-up, via other room party musician/attendees. I'll (try to) be debuting tunes from my CD 'Brad Howland and his Hillbilly Surf Punks--Legends in Their Blown Minds'

You don't need no stinkin' invitation...just show up jammin'!!

(Thanks for the battery offer KuKu..just takes a 9 volt..got it covered)

(You're not going to be in that front row are you Otto? )

J'Jim

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-10 05:34 am   Permalink

YEah, what he said. VERY noisy. Lots of drunks and conchs...

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Kat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-10 08:18 am   Permalink

I can't see why anyone would object to being recorded - but I can only speak for myself and the othe Kats. Record away. TJ may even have a handheld to capture some of the tunes.

J

View Profile of Haole Kat Send a personal message to Haole Kat  Email Haole Kat Goto the website of Haole Kat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation