advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Da Da Da - tiki mugs in Senor Coconut video
Da Da Da - tiki mugs in Senor Coconut video
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-10 6:09 pm   Permalink

One of my favorite groups (Senor Coconut) has recorded a video for one of my favorite songs, titled 'Da Da Da' (full title is 'Da Da Da I Don't Love You You Don't Love Me Aha Aha Aha)

The video is very cool - spinning tiki mugs, beautiful women, gorillas, devils, all done very stylishly.

and some more history and background of the song. It was originally recorded in 1992 by a German group named Trio - it reached #2 on the charts there, but was quite obscure in the U.S. I somehow came across an import LP and played it over and over and over -- I loved the minimalistic, repeating sounds.

The song received wider exposure in the U.S. in 1997 when it was featured in a Volkswagen 'stinky couch' commercial ... one of my favorite commercials of all time.

That commercial was parodied by Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer

Here is the original somewhat surreal video performed (in German) by Trio

and some even more surreal footage of Trio performing the song (in English) on a live TV music show.

Finally, I will add that when doing a preview of this message, I clicked on and started all the links to the above video clips, and created a fantastic smorgasbord of Da Da Da .... and before those videos eneded, a blast of lighting came and briefly knocked out power to my house (true story)

[ This Message was edited by: ikitnrev 2008-06-10 18:15 ]

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-11 12:02 am   Permalink

I love Senior Coconut too.
I saw him live a few years ago with his latin band playing the Kraftwerk songs. Awesome.

The making of this great video is here :

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-04 12:25 am   Permalink

Dear fellow Trio and Senor Coconut fans!

What can i say- you guys have good tastes!!!

Ze Germans and their humor....

I prefer these 2 versions of Da Da Da:
-Bemused german audience.

-Drummer boy standing on one foot.

Senor Coconut's Dadada:
wow. What a piece of work! Stripping karate girls, man with a droopy banana, revolving Tiki mugs... what more can one ask for!

My fave Senor Coconut post on da tube:
S.C covering Kraftwerk's Showroom Dummies up ante on the cha-cha!

Anyone can identify the tiki mugs featured?

View Profile of QuietVillage Send a personal message to QuietVillage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-04 10:09 am   Permalink

I had two Trio albums. Alas, I let both go in my big vinyl purge several years ago.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation