FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki on television
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 )
Tiki on television
Tiki Drifter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-09-05 9:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-02-18 17:48, Limbo Lizard wrote:
... Big Bang Theory episode, "The Positive Negative Reaction" (Episode 16, Season 9)

Just caught this tonight on syndication ... FANTASTIC set indeed! Awesome mugs, background art & carvings, the midcentury fireplace on the karaoke stage --- well done!

Loved it when Sheldon said at one point, "...a room full of inaccurate depictions of Polynesian religion..." ha! I don't think they actually used the word "tiki" in the episode though?

View Profile of Tiki Drifter Send a personal message to Tiki Drifter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-06 11:32 pm   Permalink

it looks like Undertow in Phoenix is going to be featured on Blue Collar Backers this Friday (sept 9th) on discovery

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-18 1:22 pm   Permalink

Don the Beachcomber gets a quick makeover for this KFC ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJET1-zKVr8

[ This Message was edited by: tikigreg 2016-09-19 06:21 ]

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-23 5:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks TikiGreg for posting this Ad. When I first saw it I was floored. I wasn't really paying attention till the end. Wow nice tiki bar I thought. After some digging in YouTube I found the commercial and I watched it with high anticipation.
Unfortunately I was confused after seeing it. The art direction like the tikis or the blowfish lights were not very good. Then the third time I watched it I realized all the items that make a tiki bar a tiki were changed to a "chicken" version of everything. So the weird pufferfish light were actually bloated chickens, the craved tiki were not your Polynesian type images but chickens craving like a seahawk on a Northwest totem pole, etc. After realizing this I loved the thought that went into it. Now it's one of my favorite commercials. Hope everyone can follows TG link to watch it. I call everything "tiki" in the ad "chiki" So it's a Chiki bar with lots of chikis in it. haha It helps to have a mid century actor in it also.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-09-24 3:45 pm   Permalink

Just saw a new version of the KFC commercial. This one has tiki (chiki) masks on the bamboo wall behind.

Here is the YouTube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOu8tEss-6A

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2016-09-24 15:50 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-26 7:40 pm   Permalink

On The Golden Girls Season 7 Episode 16 Blanche meets a man at a Polynesian Hotel.

The bar pops out of the wall with a remote

and so does the bed, what a headboard.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-11 04:10 am   Permalink

Another great find Naugatiki. Tiki Central at it's best. Will soon add your find to southseascinema.org. Much Mahalos! And great screen shots too!

P.S. I was raised in Moses Lake, WA.

creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-07-22 02:09 am   Permalink

I keep mentioning a separate commercial thread but at least these commercials are on TV. With talk about appropriation on other threads here is an ad that I feel crosses the line. In the new Honda 2017 Summerbration series one ad shows a hula bobber then widens to a white male, complete with a framer tan, in a female hula outfit (note the coconut bra top), with a plastic lei and strumming a ukulele??? Don't get what Honda is trying to say here. Is this funny to an average hula student, who spends hours a week trying to perfect their craft and traditions. There is a couple good looking big tikis in the scene but they are painted blue to go with the color theme of the scene. There has been many non-Polynesians in hula outfits, which can be construed as an American experience, and for fun many males have worn women's clothes (Milton Berle, Jamie Foxx)and even hula grass skirts and coconut bras and I think its funny also but this disturbs me and I can't explain why. Maybe because its not trying to be funny but again what is it trying to be?

Here is a screen shot. Wait a minute, is that a bar in the scene, a tiki bar?

exquisitecorpse
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-08-19 02:07 am   Permalink

Season One, Episode 2 of Dice, you get a twofer. an outside shot of Frankie's and the interior is shot at The Tonga Hut.
The show is set in Vegas so hopefully there will be more tiki bar scenes. It is actually really weird and funny.
http://www.sho.com/dice

View Profile of exquisitecorpse Send a personal message to exquisitecorpse  Goto the website of exquisitecorpse     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-09-07 06:39 am   Permalink

Monk. There's a Jade Tile on the wall of the San Francisco mayor's office

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2017-09-07 09:40 am   Permalink

Wait, there is a white male in a commercial?
That must be a mistake as you almost never see that anymore, at least in Ohio.

But yeah, that commercial is stupid.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation