FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki on television
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 )
Tiki on television
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-18 5:48 pm   Permalink

OK, heads up, Pacific Time Zone... you can still catch this!
Tonight's Big Bang Theory episode, "The Positive Negative Reaction" (Episode 16, Season 9), features two sequences in a tiki bar. Not sure if it's an unusually elaborate set, or someplace real. Float lamps, PNG masks, Hawaiian tikis, etc.

Update: OK, after looking at some pictures, I believe it's the Tonga Hut.

Leonard appeared to be drinking from one of Frankie's "Bearded Clam" mugs.

(There are more angles with more details, in the show - I grabbed these pics from CBS website)

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2016-02-18 21:54 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-18 6:11 pm   Permalink

Looks like it was outfitted with items from Oceanic Arts.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-18 10:12 pm   Permalink

We just watched it. Looks like a set, but the designers have definitely been to Tonga Hut (Hollywood.) The area where they were doing Karaoke, with the couch-type seating and stove really shows that. The real place is smaller, with better music.

[ This Message was edited by: bamalamalu 2016-02-18 22:13 ]

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-02-19 06:53 am   Permalink

It was confirmed on facebook, by someone who works on the show, that it was a set, but was inspired by the Tonga Hut.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-19 09:34 am   Permalink

Initially, I assumed it was a set, because it was such an expansive space. But the level of elaborate detail, and how right they got it, was extraordinary. Notice the wear on the edge of the bar. I began to doubt they'd go to that much trouble (and expense, even) for a couple of scenes in a single episode. So maybe, I thought, they just cleared out most of the seating in an existing place, to make room for the cameras and other equipment. Looking at various pictures, I noticed matching details from the Tonga Hut (I've never been), and thought, that's it!
After looking at more pictures, the Hut doesn't seem to have enough room to clear out that much space. But as was mentioned, they appear to have very specifically mimicked features of the Tonga Hut's decor. That free-standing metal fireplace... that, especially, is what tricked me!

At one point, Sheldon says, "This place is terrific. Why have we never been here before?" I wonder... did they put that much effort into the set, because it will be a recurring hangout, in future episodes? I hope so.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gooneybird
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-02-22 3:28 pm   Permalink

Not tiki, but some Witco wall art on the Netflix series Love.

View Profile of gooneybird Send a personal message to gooneybird  Goto the website of gooneybird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-22 6:21 pm   Permalink

Just a few more pictures for posterity.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-03-23 10:37 am   Permalink

Last night we were watching Billions and Dan thought he saw a Witco. Sure enough when we ran it back there it was. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-26 12:24 pm   Permalink

The latest episode of Bob's Burgers was titled Pro Tiki/Con Tiki featuring his restaurant going full tiki but most of it looked like it was done by Party City with many painted tikis and a talking pineapple wearing sunglasses, good title though.

[ This Message was edited by: naugatiki 2016-04-26 12:25 ]

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stevekh
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-04-26 6:50 pm   Permalink

last week's episode of Archer had him leaving Tiki Bar quite drunk - some good shots

season 7 episode 4

View Profile of stevekh Send a personal message to stevekh  Goto the website of stevekh     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation