FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki on television
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
Tiki on television
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-17 6:58 pm   Permalink

The name of the bar sounded familar....

http://www.tikitaco.com/

...or maybe its a variation of this....

http://www.tacotico.com

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-21 6:19 pm   Permalink

A sketch from the Rich Little Show in 1976 with Rich & Charlotte Rae as lounge act in the Orchid Room between two Milan Guanko tikis. Nice tikis but singing Love Will Keep Us Together in a tiki bar is a deevolution moment.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-21 6:32 pm   Permalink

Hey, is that the Sahara Las Vegas Beachcomber !?

Those are not Milan Guankos, but the trusty PeeWee's Playhouse prop Tikis that have seen many shows over the years.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-21 6:39 pm   Permalink

Follow the link in this link:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=38875&forum=1&vpost=572219

...to see them. I believe there were several of these, made from the same mold.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-21 7:08 pm   Permalink

And here is another moment in Tiki Devolution:

Digging around the web, I found out that the "South Seas" Apartments on 19223 Saticoy Street in Reseda had been the location home of the 1984 classic "Karate Kid" (even though CheekyGirl had mentioned this here before)
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28779&forum=2

Very appropriately for the state of Tiki in 1984, the place is characterized as a "dump" in the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDi3an8WgN4

When I found and photographed the place for the BOT (page 218/19) in the early 90's, it didn't look that bad, the pool was fixed, but except for the cool font there was nothing left worthy of documentation. I wonder if it is still up. Has anybody been by there recently?

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-12-21 22:08 ]

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-21 7:51 pm   Permalink

As far as I know this is what it looks like still.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=28779&forum=2&vpost=387764

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-21 8:16 pm   Permalink

Saw this being aired after the new season of Beavis and Butthead. Not my favorite show, but I'm sad I missed this episode.

EDIT: I'm talking about the "Good Vibes" episode listed on Page 1. D'oh!

[ This Message was edited by: PockyTiki 2011-12-21 20:18 ]

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-25 3:35 pm   Permalink

Has anyone noticed the killer tikis festooning Peter Gunn's pad...when he is home, that is?

I have actually noticed quite a bit of tiki on old TV programs while goofing on ME TV!!! If you don't have this channel, call your cable company and demand it!

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-07 8:40 pm   Permalink

On the latest episode of Absolutely Fabulous (01-01-2012) Job Patsy (Joanna Lumley)mentions going to the Mahiki just at the end of the episode.

Nice to hear tiki/celebrity reference in popular culture.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-08 09:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-07 20:40, atomictonytiki wrote:
On the latest episode of Absolutely Fabulous (01-01-2012) Job Patsy (Joanna Lumley)mentions going to the Mahiki just at the end of the episode.

I was wondering how long it would take for the Mahiki to completely jump the proverbial shark.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-08 7:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-12-25 15:35, Vince Martini wrote:
Has anyone noticed the killer tikis festooning Peter Gunn's pad...when he is home, that is?

Visual depictions of such findings are always appreciated on this forum

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-08 9:05 pm   Permalink

Don't forget tomorrow on "The Layover" (Travel channel)
Anthony Bourdain heads to San Francisco & the Tonga Room!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WaikikianMoeKele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-08 9:12 pm   Permalink

Have it set to dvr
~kele

View Profile of WaikikianMoeKele Send a personal message to WaikikianMoeKele  Email WaikikianMoeKele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CarvingBike
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-01-16 8:45 pm   Permalink

The Tonga Room in San Francisco was the location for a group date on The Bachelor tonight. Did anyone else happen to see it? or would anyone else admit it if they did?
They are at the bar from the 42 minute mark until the 51 minute mark and have a few good shot of the place in the background. The Bachelor is being re-aired this Sunday at 4:00 on the east coast. As 'they' like to say, check your local listings and set your DVR's

View Profile of CarvingBike Send a personal message to CarvingBike  Goto the website of CarvingBike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-17 7:59 pm   Permalink

Just saw Bamboo Ben on Storage Wars at Oceanic Arts.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation