FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki on television
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Tiki on television
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-31 06:52 am   Permalink

Tiki Central on TV

Flea market flip on HGTV

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-08 3:39 pm   Permalink

Here's one from Dragnet, a LA tiki bar with all the charm of a low cost basement home bar- bamboo, thatch, leis, travel posters and paper mache pineapples no tikis but boiled eggs on sale for $.10 a piece on the bar.

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-10 9:07 pm   Permalink

This Tiki news to all Canadians:

This coming Monday, me and my home/Tiki museum are gonna appear in one of three segments of "Extreme Collectors" on the SLICE channel at 9:00 p.m.:

http://www.slice.ca/Shows/EpisodeGuide.aspx?Root_Title_ID=299265

I could not find it listed on their site, here is why, according to the production company:

"I'm afraid the Slice website is a little unclear. The Sunday dates/times you're referring to are airtimes for repeats of episodes that have already premiered. For some reason, the website doesn't list the times your show is airing if it hasn't had its premiere yet. Your episode is indeed airing next Monday at 9 or 9:30 pm."

I would love to hear how it turned out from some Canadian viewers. I hope it's not as bad as some of these type of shows, though it does end with the usual Antiques Roadshow-type "Guess what your collection is worth? -- Whoaaa!" -which I could care less about.

I was hoping they would take the opportunity and use me as an example of how collecting can actually go beyond hoarding and single-track minded value amassment, by showing how for me it lead to history research and book writing, which lead to more collectors and an eventual blossoming of the pop culture...but these shows all have their format, and one has to fit in.

I trust that visually they did a pretty nice job, coming back for detail shots for a second day.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-11 10:57 am   Permalink

I'll try to catch it at my folks' place.

The Slice schedule lists 8 episodes airing back to back on Monday evening, but none of them are "Sparks Fly" - the episode you're in.

Note that the times listed on the website are Eastern time.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-11 11:12 am   Permalink

Cool. I'll try to PVR that. If anyone knows how I can then post it afterwards let me know.

UPDATE:

It looks like, even according to the PVR, that this episode is not running on Monday.

[ This Message was edited by: slacks ferret 2013-10-11 12:40 ]

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-11 2:03 pm   Permalink

Well, too bad if the production company doesn't even know. But looking at the "Plastic Paradise" dilemma, it would not surprise me.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-16 1:57 pm   Permalink

So Slacks and Sweet Daddy, my trusty Canadian Tiki agents - the Tiki collector episode was a no-show Monday night?

Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-16 10:25 pm   Permalink

Sparks Fly
Monday, October 21, 2013
@ 6:30 PM ET/3:30 PM PT

Monday, October 21, 2013
@ 9:30 PM ET/6:30 PM PT

Tuesday, October 22, 2013
@ 2:30 AM ET/11:30 PM PT

I'll try to catch one of these airings but I have no way of recording it.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-16 11:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks! The production company promised me they'll send me a CD of it after it aired. If that happens (and if it's not a totally embarrassing scene ), I'll make copies of it. Or put it on U-tube...

Bloody Good
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-18 12:27 pm   Permalink

My daughter loves Phineas and Ferb and I noticed some Tiki theme stuff going on. I don't think I have seen it on here before. I think there may in fact be two episodes with a Tiki Theme. One that I saw where they turn their backyard into a Island paradise and one were they take a vacation. These are just images I pulled from a google search, I'm sure there are more out there.

View Profile of Bloody Good Send a personal message to Bloody Good  Goto the website of Bloody Good     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 09:24 am   Permalink

I caught the "Sven" episode of Extreme Collectors on Monday. Four collectors/collections are profiled on each half-hour show, so there's not a lot of depth or lingering shots. And as Sven mentioned, the host gives valuations - of a few individual items and the collection as a whole. I don't think any of the four collectors on that episode where particularly concerned with the valuations - they seemed only politely interested. The segment was pretty decent - nothing glaringly wrong that I caught - and lots of eye candy.

blog

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 11:02 am   Permalink

Good to hear. Eye candy is what Tiki is all about. And re the evaluations: Most of them seemed over-valued to me, but viewers want the "Wow!" effect. And I wasn't gonna tell'em " I think you are a couple of grand over on this..." If it's on TV, it must be true!

Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-22 1:05 pm   Permalink

I thought that the collectors were probably low-balling the amounts they spent on their collections.

blog

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-23 9:39 pm   Permalink

Sven's appearance on Extreme Collectors was a good segment. Short, but good. Here's a super crappy (as in: I video recorded my TV with my iphone) quality video I uploaded to Youtube. It's bad quality, but you'll get the gist.

http://youtu.be/UAwgDL2rHlw

I'll take this down if bigbro objects to my posting it here.

[ This Message was edited by: Slacks Ferret 2013-10-24 08:52 ]

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-24 10:03 am   Permalink

Ouch...it's semi-painful, but I appreciate your efforts of capturing it, so leave it up for now. The squeezed image and the overexposed parts are the result of filming it off the TV screen, I understand.

But as a cameraman myself, I just hate those quick wide-angle whip-pans and zap-zooms that don't allow you to actually BEHOLD the objects at hand. You'd think that a show about collectors would also be FOR collectors who would actually want to SEE the collectibles! But an obsessive fear of being boring makes these kind of shows cut away from a shot as soon as you get to an object, or linger anywhere, they even sped up the nice dolly shots. It's not a music video for chrissakes!

I am glad I got to see the result, but I am not sure if it's an OK piece or embarrassing in its hyperbole - hearing the host repeat the term "Tiki" that much could actually turn one off the word.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation