FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki on television
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
Tiki on television
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-05 10:52 am   Permalink

Wow, thank you so much for those great images, Michelle! I can't play PAL on my DVD player in the U.S. And those statues are indeed all African, not Oceanic art. But this finding does support my general "Tiki Modern" theory.

That Sponge Bob Tiki Land episode is most unfortunate. Why would a show that was the first to incorporate some really cool Tiki elements, like Squidward's house, and an A-frame movie theater with Tiki bathroom sinks, stoop so low in its Tiki designs with badly-rendered, 2-dimensional Party Store-colored Tikis !!?

This should have been an ode to mod-cartoony Tiki art, and it's not. It might be OK for kids, but where were the adult designers that bought the Book of Tiki multiple times when it came out, at 8-Ball right down the street from Nickelodeon? I can only fathom that, like back ground designs often are, it was farmed out to China. These Tikis bear the hallmark symptoms of non-Amercian, internet-sourced Tiki.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-05 1:52 pm   Permalink

How come no mention of the Mrs being on last weeks "The Layover" Sven?

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wildsville man
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-05 2:53 pm   Permalink

Do's this count?

a good plug for "Lost in Paradise" for our fellow TC'er Chris

go to youtube and check out his channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/chrisandsarahb

http://tiki-caliente.com/info/?cat=12

View Profile of Wildsville man Send a personal message to Wildsville man  Email Wildsville man Goto the website of Wildsville man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-05 5:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-05 13:52, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:

It wasn't really Tiki..except for two seconds: Exactly as long as it takes a person to say "Tiki Ti"

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-05 6:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-05 17:27, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-02-05 13:52, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:

It wasn't really Tiki..except for two seconds: Exactly as long as it takes a person to say "Tiki Ti"

And the two seconds of Tiki mugs at Wacko, I wish they went to the Tiki Ti.......

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HOUSE OF KU
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-10 01:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-25 20:35, naugatiki wrote:

Tiki Gods office

The store front

Sure looks like some of Paul Fujimoto's carvings...I wonder if thats from Blairs showroom??

View Profile of HOUSE OF KU Send a personal message to HOUSE OF KU  Email HOUSE OF KU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-10 05:55 am   Permalink

plus, al harrington in that episode.

this was probably mentioned elsewhere, but all seasons of Hawaii Five-O are on Netflix Instant Streaming. it's a great resource imho.

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-02-11 4:05 pm   Permalink

http://youtu.be/wlcXA_iokPc

Superman disguised as Batman beats up Bane and throws an Easter Island statue around with another tiki as decor for the Riddler and Mad Hatter's hideout.

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-16 3:04 pm   Permalink

I thought this would best go in this thread:

Found these old TV themes from the early 1960s
First one is from a rare show called "Follow the Sun" it is "full frontal Exotica"

Other shows of note is Jack Lord's pre H50 western "Stoney Burke"
and be sure to check out "The New Breed" also, towards the end!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOil6PhSAzs&feature=related

Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-02-18 9:03 pm   Permalink

Here in Japan, the old Mission: Impossible series is now being shown on a cable station called "Super Drama TV".

Last night, a sixth-season episode called "Double Dead" was shown.

The episode is set in Hawaii (but filmed on the Paramount lot in LA). There is a scene inside a restaurant, complete with hula dancers and cocktails being served in pineapples.

The best thing about the episode is the main villain's house is actually the Brady Bunch living room - all dressed up Polynesian style. (Both Paramount series were sill in production when the show was filmed.)

The whole episode is up at YouTube:
http://youtu.be/X7cCZWuB0C0

View Profile of Michelle66 Send a personal message to Michelle66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-18 10:10 pm   Permalink

wow that is pretty funny.

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-20 09:04 am   Permalink

I just got a tape from about 1962 of the Tonight Show with the Mai-Kai Mystery Girl on it. It is incredible stuff! Come to Hukilau and see my presentation and you can see it all, hear the back story of Johnny and how this happened, and meet the man who made it possible. No, not Mr. Carson, but his good friend Jack.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-20 11:27 am   Permalink

Sounds great Swanky - I don't think I can make it to Hukilau this year, but that presentation sounds really interesting. I saw your presentation at Tiki Oasis, and it was very informative/entertaining... the mystery bowl presentation was a sight to see.

Michelle66 - thanks for those screenshots... that is amazing! The Brady Bunch house all done-up Tiki-style. It's got everything - witco bar stools, rattan bar, carved Tikis, yellow Chinese tiles... sweet!

-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-20 12:39 pm   Permalink

I saw this cool Milan Guanko tiki lamp on the M:I episode around 44:48:

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-20 4:34 pm   Permalink

Putting 2 + 2 together on TC, we can easily arrive at the source of this episode's decor :

Quote:

On 2011-02-09 07:42, Dustycajun wrote:
Sven,
1986, that was at the very end of the Sea and Jungle. Here is an LA Times article on the closing and history of the store from June of 1986:

"....Sea and Jungle also provided the movie industry with technical information, such as how to rig a sail on a tall ship's mizzenmast, he said. Just recently, Congiardo said, he found a small cannon that he needed at the Glendale store.

Sea and Jungle props decorated Rick's Cafe Americaine in "Casablanca," Achtien said. They carried natives over the waves in "Mutiny on the Bounty." And they adorned countless TV movies..."

We already know that that mini Milan Guanko came from them, the green lamp base one looks like a plaster cast of it.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-02-20 17:57 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation