FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events Review the Mai Kai Experience.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Review the Mai Kai Experience.
Tiki Champagne
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-16 06:36 am   Permalink

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34227-d465787-Reviews-Mai_Kai_Restaurant_Lounge-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

My experience at the Mai Kai was so outstanding that I just had to add a review to counter the negative review that somebody posted on June 9th.

I can't let a negative review stand, especially when I have a hard time believing that the negative review is completely truthful.

If you joined us at the Mai Kai during the Hukilau, could you add a review to mine on the above website, please?

PS I have nothing to do with that website or business . . . I'm just a Mai Kai fan who wants to support the Mai Kai in any way that I can.

Thanks.

View Profile of Tiki Champagne Send a personal message to Tiki Champagne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-16 08:30 am   Permalink

Another option is to register with the site and then vote the 'bad' reviews as Not Helpful. That will help minimize the impact of the 'bad' reviews.

We can't stop the bad reviews because a lot of people go in thinking they are getting something like the Cheescake Factory or some other chain restaurant and have no idea they are walking into a 52 year old piece of Tiki History.

And, my recommendation to all of you when you go back to the Mai-Kai... try the steaks! What magic the Chinese Ovens work I don't know but magic is about the only way to describe it.

The Mai-Kai is currently the best undiscovered steak house in all of Florida!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-16 09:38 am   Permalink

Don't forget the au gratin potatoes that come in their own crock pot!!!

They sure compliment those steaks very well.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-16 09:38 am   Permalink

I like to tell people to try "anything that is cooked in the Chinese Oven"!! Prime Rib - mmmmmmm!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-16 09:44 am   Permalink

You guys are making me hungry!

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzanne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-16 4:29 pm   Permalink

Last year at Hukilau I had a steak and the au gratin potatoes and they were amazing. This past weekend I had a cashew crusted sea bass that nearly made me cry it was so wonderful. I have always had wonderful food at the Mai Kai and I think that those people had to be out of their minds to write a review like that. Anyway, how did they get out the door only spending $102 on two people? Seems nearly impossible to me... but then again I couldn't ever visit without spending nearly that on drinks alone.

Suzanne

View Profile of suzanne Send a personal message to suzanne  Goto the website of suzanne     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Champagne
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-16 5:41 pm   Permalink

That's great, folks!

Could you take the time to write a review on the website that I posted above, please? It could help the Mai Kai.

Thanks.

View Profile of Tiki Champagne Send a personal message to Tiki Champagne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-16 8:45 pm   Permalink

Jeff,
They took the potatoes off the menu!!!! I asked one of the waiters about it and he confirmed that they had removed them from the menu. I was so bummed

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanekila
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-17 06:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-16 09:38, AlohaStation wrote:
I like to tell people to try "anything that is cooked in the Chinese Oven"!! Prime Rib - mmmmmmm!

YES -- the Chinese ovens rock. I had the salmon that was cooked in the C.O., and it was amazing. The flavor of the wood fire adds so much to the rich flavor of the fish. It was maybe just slightly more cooked than I prefer (I like a thin strip of uncooked fish in the middle), but then, they're using ovens fired with burning logs. It was fantastic. Oh, and my brown rice was cooked to perfection, and with a lot of flavor. I tasted a piece of Josh's steak, and I have to say, it was also quite amazing.

You get what you pay for, and it's worth every penny, IMO.

Kanekila

View Profile of Kanekila Send a personal message to Kanekila  Email Kanekila Goto the website of Kanekila     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wentiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-17 07:10 am   Permalink

Anything out of the chinese ovens is fabulous, I'm thinking of constructing one myself.

I can't imagine what the people who leave bad reviews must be ordering. Three nights in a row at the Mai Kai should have sated us, but it was just a tease! We'd be in trouble if we lived nearby, I have no clue how all you locals resist.

View Profile of wentiki Send a personal message to wentiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-24 05:34 am   Permalink

My single complaint, if that's what you could call it, is that the Florida heat melts the drinks too fast. Awesome old-school place.

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-24 07:43 am   Permalink

In a word : MECCA

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-24 08:10 am   Permalink

The Mai Kai is reviewed favorably on Yelp. It's got only 8 reviews (as apposed to 51), but they are all great.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KikiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-24 08:21 am   Permalink

The Mai Kai drinks are delicious and I couldn't stop eating the crab rangoon!
Plus how can you beat the happy hour of 2 for one drinks and half price appetizers,
even on the weekends! If I lived in Florida I'd be there all the time. The staff
are so nice even when busy, and I just love exploring every nook and cranny of the
place. Strolling in the garden with a tiki cocktail on a balmy evening, that's the
good life!!! I enjoyed my sea bass entree on Saturday and my husband devoured his duck.
We loved watching the waiters prepare flaming coffee drinks and desserts. And
who else has the Mystery Girl???? The Mai Kai gets my vote!

View Profile of KikiTiki Send a personal message to KikiTiki  Goto the website of KikiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-24 10:08 am   Permalink

When I was at the Mai Kai recently for Hukilau 08, I tried a drink that is NOT on the their menu--the Grandfather Barrel. It is basically their Rum Barrel, but with top shelf aged rums. That was the smoothest cocktail I've had EVER. It was so well made and the rums were so smooth that I could have downed it quickly. Thankfully I paced myself, because it was full of rum! At $22 it wasn't an everyday drink, but if you ever are at the Mai Kai and want an amazing drink experience, order the Grandfather Barrel. Simply Amazing!!

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." -- Dean Martin

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation