FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts TikiMango's Art- P6 New Art: Tiki Flyer
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
TikiMango's Art- P6 New Art: Tiki Flyer
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 08:43 am   Permalink

Aloha displaced Islanders!

I haven't done anything creative in almost 25yrs, life can really drain a guy. I just started to paint with acrylics last year (Feb'07), and figured I should try focusing on my first love, all things Tiki. I've had the urge burning in me for a long time, I was just not in a position to listen to the Tiki Gods. I guess you can take the boy off the island but can't take the island out of the boy. Below are some of my tiki related artwork this year. There are tons of great artist here, hoping to reach your level one of these days.

16x20

16x20

12x12 Pupule means crazy in Hawaiian.

12x12

12x12

[ This Message was edited by: TikiMango 2011-01-17 20:27 ]

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-18 8:33 pm   Permalink

Very nice indeed...and welcome to TC

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 8:53 pm   Permalink

all good but that second one is killer. Great colors and ideas.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 9:11 pm   Permalink

Nice work Mango for sure.
I sold a 6 ft. tiki down Sylmar way about mmmmmaybe 8 years ago. It was a Leroy Schmaltz design.
Keep on paintin'!

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 06:23 am   Permalink

Thanks guys, now if I could just paint a straight line (or at least a less wavy one). You should see the two brightly colored tikis under a color wheel. Wow, they "pop" for sure. The orange tiki also has some florescent paint highlights, looks nice under a black light. I'll have to try to get an image of that up.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
royaltiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-19 06:27 am   Permalink

Hey TikiMango, nice work. I like the purple background one best - but how do you pronounce Pupule?

View Profile of royaltiki Send a personal message to royaltiki  Email royaltiki Goto the website of royaltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 06:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-19 06:23, TikiMango wrote:
Thanks guys, now if I could just paint a straight line (or at least a less wavy one).

No need, there is painters tape for that. You can buy tape at art an store that is real skinny like a pinstripe on a car.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 06:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

royaltiki wrote:
Hey TikiMango, nice work. I like the purple background one best - but how do you pronounce Pupule?

I'm not entirely sure, but I say it as "poo-poo-lee".

teaKEY, thanks for the tip. I've tried the blue painter's masking tape, I always get paint wicking under it around the edges. It doesn't like to stick to my canvas.... at least the junk I buy.

Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 6:13 pm   Permalink

Try 3M 233 tape. It is used for doing pin lines on surfboard. It's more resistant to bleeding and wicking.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-19 9:24 pm   Permalink

Surf Tiki, thanks for that lead, I'll search it out.

Here is the orange tiki under a black light. The photo isn't the best, but I think it gets the point across.

TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-29 5:41 pm   Permalink

OK, here's my latest one. If anyone knows the name of this tiki, please let me know. I found a photo of this wood tiki, but I'm not sure of any of the details. I've never seen one with such an intricate tongue before, let alone a real mustache.
I put a little red into the tongue, though the photo doesn't show this very well.

16x20 acrylic on canvas

I tried something a bit different with this one. When I was applying the gesso to canvas, I decided to lay it on really thick, then use a sponge roller to spread it. The effect presented an interesting surface to paint on for sure.

TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 6:02 pm   Permalink

I decided to post a few in-process shots, seemed like the civilized thing to do.

Starting my final PolyGirl for the Trio Set. She's got a dark tan.

I decided to lighten her up a bit, and detail out the flowers.

I'm diggin' the velvet paintings, but since I don't have any on-hand I decided to try a Faux-felti Tiki painting.

TiKiMaN77
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 02:08 am   Permalink

Awesome paintings man. Can't wait to see the little Hula dancer done. The flowers look incredible.

View Profile of TiKiMaN77 Send a personal message to TiKiMaN77  Email TiKiMaN77 Goto the website of TiKiMaN77     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-11 11:51 pm   Permalink

To paint a straight line with tape, Put the tape down where you need the line. Paint over the edge where the tape meets the canvas, board, etc. with matte medium and let dry. You have now effectively sealed the tape so no paint bleeding under it can occur. Next paint your line and remove tape, voila' perfect line.

One caveat, you may want to lightly separate the tape edge/line edge with a blade, being careful not to gouge painting, before removal, this ensures no paint will tear away with the tape. This is only an issue with elastic paints such as latex.

Once you can handle your brush lines will be second nature, but tape is great for some really rectilinear work.

Cheers!

PS the 2nd painting is rad-bad!

[ This Message was edited by: Sneakytiki 2008-07-11 23:56 ]

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-23 9:54 pm   Permalink

Man, I just have too many projects to do. I keep bouncing from one thing to another, and don't have time to finish anything. I was thinking about TO Voodoo Zombie Island, and that got me in the mood to knock out a couple zombie inspired inks.

Shrunken Head

Zombie Drinking a Zombie

Close-up

I've been spending most of my time trying to carve a damn piece of Douglas Fur. What a nightmare for a first carving.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiMango 2008-07-24 06:07 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation