FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts TikiMango's Art- P6 New Art: Tiki Flyer
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
TikiMango's Art- P6 New Art: Tiki Flyer
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-05 8:13 pm   Permalink

Completed my first Cook Island painting, a distraction from my other things.

12x12

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dirk Yates
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 11:04 pm   Permalink

Great painting!!! Acrylic?

View Profile of Dirk Yates Send a personal message to Dirk Yates  Email Dirk Yates Goto the website of Dirk Yates     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 06:10 am   Permalink

Mahalo. Yes, all acrylics. I enjoy the fact that they dry fast, of course having never worked with oils I don't know if fast drying is a good thing or not. I also like that clean-up only takes water, so there's no strong chemical odors.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 08:46 am   Permalink

Beautiful, I like your style!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dirk Yates
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-08 11:38 am   Permalink

From my experience, I would say stick with acrylics. Cant wait to see more of your work!!!
http://www.yatesstudios.com

View Profile of Dirk Yates Send a personal message to Dirk Yates  Email Dirk Yates Goto the website of Dirk Yates     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-07 5:01 pm   Permalink

I haven't been too active lately, work seems to be sapping my energy. After seeing Schmaltz' Marquesan Canoe carving at the "In Search of Tiki" museum show at Forest Lawn I was inspired to paint a canoe full o' rowers. Acrylics, 16x20. Sorry for the bad lighting, the colors are more bright than shown and really pop under a color wheel.

TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-16 5:50 pm   Permalink

I decided to give the velvet thing a try. I wasn't sure where to buy black velvet for painting, and didn't want to mail order a huge amount in case things didn't work out. I went to Jo-Ann's fabrics and bought a yard of "royal velvet". Let me tell you, there are so many variables when it comes to velvets, I had no idea what to get. I figure I'll try painting on a yard of everything as time allows until I find something that works. This velvet is really plush, and I'm sticking with acrylics for now, as I want to retain some of my comfort zone.

Quick and dirty, just to get a feel. I am not a master of light.
Not very detailed, or large (5x7), just testing the waters.

IsleConch
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-16 8:55 pm   Permalink

Great works of art TM...I've always liked the velvet myself. I enjoyed lookin' all your paintings.

...Castaway on the Isle of Life...

View Profile of IsleConch Send a personal message to IsleConch  Email IsleConch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-18 01:03 am   Permalink

I like your style, the marquesan is da bombz, ditto the canoe!

PS killer frame on the B Velvet piece there.

ST

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-18 07:55 am   Permalink

Dang Mango!
Cook Islands/Marquesan Rowers/and a VELVET!
BEAUTIMOUS!
Dang Boi! You are pumping out the jams!
Stick with acrylic-it likes you!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-18 4:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks for all the positive support! Here's my second velvet painting. I find it hard to get any details on velvet, I think it is more the suggestion of shape than actually providing details. I wasn't able to sketch on the velvet as I normally do on canvas. I tried sketching with a white colored pencil, but it didn't really help things so I just free-handed as best as I could. Maybe I should use chalk? This is a pretty ugly wahine. If nudity is not allowed, please let me know and I'll take it down.

Velvet adhesive-spayed to a piece of bristol board, final size 8x10 (you can make out the edge if looking hard enough). I think I know why most folks use oils on velvet, it was really limiting to try to blend with acrylics and try not to clot up the velvet.

TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-20 5:04 pm   Permalink

I have moved images of this Moai relief plate to my new carving thread.

[ This Message was edited by: TikiMango 2008-12-05 07:35 ]

Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-21 01:00 am   Permalink

Mang,

i didn't even notice anything amiss about the nose til u mentioned it, and still it isn't bad, alot of the Moai I see have a sorta upturned schnauz.

I think this bas relief turned out GREAT!
Nice one!

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-21 5:59 pm   Permalink

NICE!!!

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-21 10:31 pm   Permalink

This is my first time looking at your thread. And I really like your work!! It was nice to meet you at Damon's tonight. Thanks for posting!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation