FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki El Tiki, Imperial, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
El Tiki, Imperial, CA (restaurant)
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-10 12:38 am   Permalink

El Tiki with a sombrero... Now I have seen it all!

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Queen Kamehameha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-10 2:17 pm   Permalink

Mike, Just so you have them in one thread here are 2 of the El Tiki...Tiki's That I have.The third I dont have a pic of but will get one, it way up at the top of the yard

View Profile of Queen Kamehameha Send a personal message to Queen Kamehameha  Email Queen Kamehameha Goto the website of Queen Kamehameha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-10 3:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks Amy, they look right at home in your yard. Much happier than they were off the side of some abandoned country road. Seems like I don't see many new tikis carved upside down with the rootball for hair.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-06-14 8:25 pm   Permalink

Here is another of Ben Wilson's Tiki creations. This one migrated to a residence during the great tiki diaspora after El Tiki closed. This is a lousy cell phone picture taken through a dirty windshield, I'll replace it with a better one sometime.

EDIT - New picture posted 4/23/10

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2010-04-23 18:49 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ninax797

Posted: 2011-03-29 11:40 pm   Permalink

This is funny my mom was telling me stories about her childhood bestfriend Benjamin Wilson sharing a song el tiki jingle for show and tell in the fourth / fifth grade she was singing it to me I thought it was cute so I tried finding it and she remembers the whole song, her name is Monica. I thought my mom was going nuts.

View Profile of ninax797 Send a personal message to ninax797      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-10 11:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-19 10:58, bigbrotiki wrote:
Wow. Not too long ago, someone posted the menu from the El Tiki here:

...which I tought was a great example of cross-cultural Tiki inspiration back in the day. The menu text says it all.
So Mad Dog, do you know the guy?

Hey! This would be a great idea/theme for a South of the Border style Tiki Oasis?

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-11 07:57 am   Permalink

Now where the heck did John-O get that shirt?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-11 3:38 pm   Permalink

Otto - Ben Wilson, the owner of El Tiki, had built some fiberglass sombrero'd tikis in the late 70s for a chain of Mexican fast food restaurants he tried to open. I don't know if any of those are still around but they would be cool decorations for Oasis (though Sven would say they were "Tiki Devolution Style" and he would be right)

Edit - DC, he said he had HB Tiki print it for him.

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2011-07-11 15:40 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-09-24 8:58 pm   Permalink

April 9, 1963 - Imperial Valley Press

A 6-foot tiki god, which weighed more than 300 pounds, was stolen from the front of El Tiki Restaurant in Imperial. Ben Wilson, the restaurant's owner, said he was busy with customers most of the afternoon and when he went outside at 7 p.m. to turn on the outside lights he discovered the tiki missing.

Chuck Tatum is Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-24 9:31 pm   Permalink

Looks like a case for...Chuck Tatum, Time Travel Detective!

View Profile of Chuck Tatum is Tiki Send a personal message to Chuck Tatum is Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-05 7:43 pm   Permalink

Somehow I missed this thread. I'm so happy you posted it again with your special proposal. Now back to the main thread! Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-02 07:02 am   Permalink

Found this posted on FaceBook yeasterday. An El Tiki float in the 1963 Imperial Fair Parade. Talked to Ben (the owner of the El Tiki and soon to be my father-in-law), her doesn't remember much in the way of specifics but that he opened the bar the year before and was probably looking for a little advertising. The picture is not so clear but when you zoom in you can see a tiki head on the front, two palm trees on the back, and two or three people sitting on the float. One is a girl with a pink flower in her hair and the middle one looks like it could be Ben. He still owns the 1924 Model T and still drives it in parades.

Fez Moai
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-04 4:57 pm   Permalink

That's pretty awesome! And congratulations!

View Profile of Fez Moai Send a personal message to Fez Moai  Email Fez Moai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-31 9:38 pm   Permalink

1965 Yellow Pages ad

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation