FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki El Tiki, Imperial, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
El Tiki, Imperial, CA (restaurant)
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-09-11 07:57 am   Permalink

Nice, MDM, good choice of subject! You can create your own wall art for your tiki bar. That's cool.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-11-14 1:10 pm   Permalink

El Tiki had ephemera! Thank you HBTiki

"I want you to shake the freak tree and invite anyone that drops to the ground. Dwarfs and giants, magicians, Zulu tribesmen, contortionists, fire eaters... and priests. We're going to need to confess" Freddy Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-01-28 10:25 pm   Permalink

Finally found 2 lonely pictures of the inside of El Tiki. They were taken in the early 80s, after the restaurant closed but was still used for private get-togethers. Thatch, bamboo, Tikis, fishing net, etc. The dapper gentleman in the grey suit is the owner, Ben

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-01-29 10:38 am   Permalink

Cool! What a stylish dude, loved by the ladies!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-01-29 3:23 pm   Permalink

Whoops, that was supposed to be a private message LOL

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2016-01-29 15:27 ]

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-15 06:35 am   Permalink

This was a fiberglass sombrero'd tiki that was part of the sign for the El Tiki fast food restaurant that opened in San Diego in the late 1970s. It has been split into 2 halves and repainted but I didn't realize it still existed.

"I want you to shake the freak tree and invite anyone that drops to the ground. Dwarfs and giants, magicians, Zulu tribesmen, contortionists, fire eaters... and priests. We're going to need to confess" Freddy Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-15 11:17 pm   Permalink

Nice Mike, mahalo for sharing, my hats off to you!

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-29 12:41 pm   Permalink

A while back we moved Ben to our house and out of his mountain cabin. My wife and her siblings are in the process of cleaning out the cabin and I am hopeful they will unearth some El Tiki treasures. One of the things they found so far was a menu that has been previously posted here. I was taking a closer look at the drink menu. El Tiki just had a beer and wine license, no liquor. The menu included the usually suspects for the time including Hamms, Schlitz, Olympia, Lucky, and Burgie. Since it was a Mexican restaurant, there was also Tecate, Corona, San Miguel, and Carta Blanca. I remember Almaden wines in the big gallon "cannonball" bottles. He had wine coolers made from several varieties of wine. But what intrigues (and frankly frightens) me is the "Bali Hai". A "Delightful tropical fruit flavor". What do you think it might have been? We will probably never know.

tikijimmy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-04-29 4:38 pm   Permalink

Bali Hai wine from the late 60s.... ugghhh

View Profile of tikijimmy Send a personal message to tikijimmy  Email tikijimmy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-29 5:33 pm   Permalink

WOW Jimmy! That's the right time frame. I emptied a lot of trash working at the restaurant but don't recall those bottles but that still could have been exactly what they used

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation