FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » El Tiki, Imperial, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
El Tiki, Imperial, CA (restaurant)
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2014-09-22 10:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-09-22 09:57, MadDogMike wrote:
PS - Teresa mentioned in the article is now my wife

Ha! That's great!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 15 days ago; 6:57 pm   Permalink

I posted a picture a page back of a tiki that Ben Wilson, the El Tiki owner and now my father-in-law, sold after El Tiki closed. It has been guarding the driveway of a house down the road from me for 25 years. I had always admired it but never thought about buying it. Last month I noticed it was leaning and in danger of falling so I contacted the owner of the property and we made a deal for me to buy it. At 10 feet tall, it is heavier than I expected - I estimate it to be about 300 lbs. It was carved in the 60s so it is close to 50 years old, but is in great shape due to our dry desert climate.

Ben had cardiac bypass surgery and does not yet know that I bought this tiki, I wanted to get it all set up before I showed him. After he is feeling a little better I will take a picture of him next to his tiki and post it here

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 7:01 pm   Permalink

Lucky guy.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 07:45 am   Permalink

congrats on gettin that Mike.

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 1:27 pm   Permalink

Does anyone in the family have photos of the house when it still was "El Tiki"?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 1:34 pm   Permalink

Very cool!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 12 days ago; 2:05 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys, I'm excited to show the Tiki to Ben as soon as he is feeling better
Sven, I am trying to track down some photos but have not had any luck yet

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 7 days ago; 2:38 pm   Permalink

I had seen and posted the first part of this story a while back, now I found the exciting conclusion of the story.

April 9, 1963 - Imperial Valley Press
A 6-foot tiki god, which weighed more than 300 pounds, was stolen from the front of El Tiki Restaurant in Imperial. Ben Wilson, the restaurant's owner, said he was busy with customers most of the afternoon and when he went outside at 7 p.m. to turn on the outside lights he discovered the tiki missing.
April 12, 1963 - Imperial Valley Press

El Tiki Restaurant’s tiki god is home-complete with a new and brighter face.
The 6-foot, 300-pound-plus wood image had a black face and orange eyes when it was stolen from in front of the restaurant Saturday.
Ben Wilson, restaurant owner, said he found the tiki god in the driveway of the restaurant when he opened this morning. He said someone had done a “terrific job” repainting its face with brighter colors.

So was this the beginning of the devolution of Tiki? Brightly colored Tiki faces in California in 1963? Maybe we can't blame it on Florida or Jimmy Buffett?

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 4 days ago; 8:24 pm   Permalink

1969 ad

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 02:28 am   Permalink

Says it all!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation