FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Lee's Carving Post: 1st carving since '09!?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki Lee's Carving Post: 1st carving since '09!?
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-21 12:16 am   Permalink

Aloha Friends!

Well, it's been a couple o' years since Coon Tiki and my first gathering of forbiddon knowledge of tiki carving, and I've got a few works under my belt since then. So, I thought I'd put all of my projects into one place and add each new piece into this one thread instead of making a new thread for each one like in the past.

So, let's catch up, shall we?

I'll post one picture from each post and provide the link so I don't have to repeat the whole sequence of progression for each one, or this thread would be way too long right off the bat! This way, you can read the thread or just scan the photos or whatever...

My First Tiki

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=19696&forum=7

My Second Tiki

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21248&forum=7

A Little Hookin'

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=21417&forum=7

My First Chainsaw Attempt

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=23991&forum=7

A Progression of Witco-Style works from first to latest...

Here's a series of two-footers I carved for the auction at last years' Tiki Oasis

I started this one at last years' Tiki Oasis and finally finished it in the Spring.

The latest is this Witco-Style Pineapple Tiki that I finished last week.

I'd love to try and do this one in Redwood or Cedar instead of the rock-hard Douglas Fir that I have to use, but you just can't get the soft wood in big enough planks down here in Vegas. I might have to make a special wood-buying trip next time I go to Cali.

That about brings us up to date. I skipped a few pieces to keep the post brief, but I see that it didn't help. Anyway, now I have one place to post all my future creations.

To The Future...!

Until then, my friends!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee's 2008-07-13 00:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee's 2008-07-22 23:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee's 2008-08-05 14:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee's 2009-04-16 01:36 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee's 2009-09-05 22:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee's 2009-09-06 20:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Lee's 2012-03-24 16:07 ]

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-21 12:47 am   Permalink

Hey Lee, I like your Witco style stuff, especially that non-Witco Maori mug mask, ...and the fish is cool in its simplicity.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-21 05:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-21 00:47, bigbrotiki wrote:

...and the fish is cool in its simplicity.

*And it displays awesomely on my workshop wall, way down here in Aotearoa! As such I have a soft spot for your Witco-style work Lee.
Great way to reintroduce and organise your carves.
That first mask of yours is great, testiment to the fact that you were born to do this.

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-21 05:57 am   Permalink

Nice post TikiLee, happy to see that you kept carving after that little
bonfire at Coontiki I. I really like your Witco inspired collection,
please keep us "posted" on your future creations.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-21 06:09 am   Permalink

Sweet stuff, Lee!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sungod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-21 09:19 am   Permalink

I like the use of boards in tiki art. What type do you use?

View Profile of sungod Send a personal message to sungod  Email sungod Goto the website of sungod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-24 05:39 am   Permalink

Hi Lee. I'm just starting to get out of Other Crafts a little bit now, and I'm sorry to admit I've never seen your work until now. I have a very hard time believing that your first Tiki is really your first... it is fantastic! You're an excellent craftsman.

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-25 7:06 pm   Permalink

Mahaloz Plenny You Guys!

BigBro- props from you always thrill the heck out of me- thanks! The Maori Mask went to our own Sophista-Tiki for the last art swap.

Tama- Speaking of art swaps... It still boggles my mind that something I made is in N.Z. In YOUR workshop, no less! Whatta honor!

Conga- You rock! I'm so jealous (in a good way!) of all the cool carvings you've done!

4WD- Now that you mention "Sweet", how's my Sweetie?

Sungod- I've been stuck using rock-hard Doug Fir since I can't get good sized Redwood or Cedar here in Vegas. I'm DYING to try it to see if I can get my sharp corners softened.

Robb- We just spoke a few hours ago and you KNOW that I'm your biggest fan. It's so cool that you kinda like what I do too!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 9:44 pm   Permalink

Nice Lee, you have a good variety of carves in your collection.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 12:28 pm   Permalink

Ain't no kinda to it, Lee.

Do you have anything new happening, or are you "enjoying" your wonderful Tiki room too much?

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captain FOREMAN

Posted: 2008-07-08 4:45 pm   Permalink

Hello Tiki Lee, I was admiring your work and thought I'd drop a note saying that it is inspiring my own chainsaw carving into new directions! I want to ask, where do you get your wood, such as the blocks of fir, and the palm? I've been looking around for more big chunks of palm and other soft wood, butt so far have been unsucessful, any suggestions? Please let me know, my email is 7centnickel@gmail.com, I look forward to swapping ideas with you!

-Captain FOREMAN

View Profile of Captain FOREMAN Send a personal message to Captain FOREMAN  Goto the website of Captain FOREMAN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 5:49 pm   Permalink

Hey T-Lee, It has been fun to watch your progress from that first Coon Tiki, My, have you come A Long way. It looks to me that you were Born to the Witco Style. Excellent stuff. Just do more and Quicker!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-13 12:48 am   Permalink

Awww, yall's is too nice!

Anyway, here's the latest. It's a little 12 incher made of that rock hard Douglas Fir. You can see the sketch of it on the wood in the photo above. I finally figured out how to get the "elusive" soft edge that comes naturally from burning when you use cedar or redwood. I actually had to carve the softness in by hand with the saw blade. It was a pain and took a long time, but you can see that it made all the difference in the world- for the better. I also used that Howard's Orange Oil/Beeswax stuff to finish it with. I like the look MUCH better than the satin varnish. It makes it look alot softer as well. Too bad it's a pain to apply in all the crevices! Varnish just goes right on in a snap and flows into all the nooks & crannys. The Orange Oil/Beeswax has to be forced into all of 'em and it's not fun.

Dang! -why can't I just find some good sized redwood so I don't have to do everything the hard way!

Mahaloz!

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-13 07:06 am   Permalink

Good lookin' mask, Lee! I like the way you did the cheekbones, really distinctive.

What size lumber was that, 2x8?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-19 11:47 pm   Permalink

4WD- That was a 2" by 12" Doug Fir board. It was just long enough to get the Pineapple, that last short mask, and the last "drawing" on the board a few posts up. I actually just finished that one, but I haven't put the orange oil/beeswax on it yet. I'll post a picture of it soon.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation