FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Retinal Delight Art Show - Laguna Art Museum
Retinal Delight Art Show - Laguna Art Museum
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-22 10:25 am   Permalink

The company that I work for, Hurley, as well as Juxtapoz Magazine opened an amazing art show last night.

"In the Land of Retinal Delights: The Juxtapoz Factor." So many classic Juxtapoz magazine artists have pieces in the show. Many that have touched on tiki as well. The Rydan piece was amazing! The Todd Schorr piece will blow your mind. There were also pieces by Shag, the Pizz, Von Dutch, Stanley Mouse, Don Ed Hardy, Big Daddy Roth, and even an original Leetag! A whole room of moving, life sized hula girls packing ukuleles and machine guns...

This is by far the most amazing show I have even seen put together. It runs from June 22 - October 5, 2008.

You would be a damned fool to miss this one....

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-22 10:54 am   Permalink

Spike, call me! I have been trying like crazy to get a hold of you! See your PM.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-22 11:30 am   Permalink

where can we find pics?

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-22 3:11 pm   Permalink

Righteous show!

I dont recall the last show i attending that truly blew my mind the way this one did.

Not a lot of tropicalia, but still required viewing as possibly the most important art show of the decade. Mad props to Hurley for underwriting the show!!!

Spike, great to chat with you briefly in my mad, alchohol-fueled tear through the show!

And yeah, 2 of my favorite art installations were on display, the ubiquitous Kevin Ancel's 'Tribute to Captain Cook' and his group of anamatronic Tiki Girls are poignant statements about the colonization and corruption of the Islands by us Americans.

I wonder if there is a group discount to buy the whole dozen or so of them!

TL

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 1:09 pm   Permalink

Here's a sampling of the show. Not my pictures....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sketchypad/sets/72157605764172708/
The photos don't even do it justice.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation