FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Bug-eyed mug?!?
Bug-eyed mug?!?
El Buho
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-24 05:37 am   Permalink

A couple of weeks ago I bought this mug at a local fleamarket for 50 cents. I don't know anything about it, it also has no name, stamp or mark on it. The only sensation is that I bought it here in Austria - and thats quite amazing! Does anybody know something about it?

View Profile of El Buho Send a personal message to El Buho  Email El Buho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-24 05:58 am   Permalink

gruss gott el buho,

looks similar to these:

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=563&ind_mug_id=8042

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=3316&ind_mug_id=22213

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=1904

http://www.ooga-mooga.com/cgi-bin/all/mug.cgi?mode=view&mug_id=566

seems "bug eyed moai" is the search term.

[ This Message was edited by: johnny dollar 2008-06-24 07:42 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-28 1:16 pm   Permalink

El Buho, I think I can shed some additional light on this subject but it will have to wait until I return to the States. Right now, my access to technology is very limited.

It was nice meeting you and your lady in London at the non-luau by the way. I never did it make it to Vienna, but it's on my list for a future visit.

- SV

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Buho
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-06-29 12:19 am   Permalink

Grüss Gott, Johnny Dollar, thank you very much for the links. It's similar to these but mine hasn't any two-toned glaze. Even the producer is unknown. The colour of mine is kind of honey-brown. I don't think that mine has something to do with Otigari and its not worth anything but thats okay.

@ SV, it was also nice to meet and talk to you. I hope you enjoyed your trips to Prague, Zürich, Berlin and so on and that you arrive safe back at the bay-area. Keep Vienna in mind, even if it has still not a single tiki-bar!

View Profile of El Buho Send a personal message to El Buho  Email El Buho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sandy4569

Posted: 2008-06-30 04:19 am   Permalink

50cents - now that's cheap! looks really nice!

View Profile of sandy4569 Send a personal message to sandy4569      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-08 3:19 pm   Permalink

I came across this in my collection of menus and realized I never got around to replying to this post.

Back in the summer of 2008, I spend my summer backpacking around Europe visiting as many tiki establishments as possible. I first came across this mug in a hostel in Sorrento, Italy. I had one given to me as a gift. I came across it again north of Barcelona in a village on the coast called Tossa del Mar which is where this promotional menu came from.

The Eraclea chocolate company had this mug as a part of a promotion for a series of chocolate beverages, each of which could be laced with booze including rum. The coconut chocolate with rum sounds especially tasty but I didn't partake that day. Big mistake.

- fm

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation