FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events psycho beach party!this sunday july 20th pics up!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
psycho beach party!this sunday july 20th pics up!!!
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 08:47 am   Permalink

Nah, Tower Bar is known for their Tuesday Night Eating Contests (Twinkies, Wasabi, Peanut Butter & Bacon Sammiches, etc), winner gets $30 off their bar tab.

And Fried Spam goes really well with Grilled Pineapple.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 09:35 am   Permalink

They are also known for selling more PBR than any other bar in Calif.
I believe.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 11:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-02 08:47, freddiefreelance wrote:
Nah, Tower Bar is known for their Tuesday Night Eating Contests (Twinkies, Wasabi, Peanut Butter & Bacon Sammiches, etc), winner gets $30 off their bar tab.

And Fried Spam goes really well with Grilled Pineapple.

Yeah, I've been there for the eating contests and can hardly handle watching, let alone participate. A couple of my friends have, though.
The Tower is a very historical San Diego landmark and every year, it's either the beginning, end, or meet$greet for our Mods VS Rockers run.
Aside from selling record amounts of PBR, Mick has the largest collection of PBR merchandise, outside of Milwaukee and is the only bar in town that sells OLY.
We will mention the SPAM eating contest to Mick and see what he thinks. That would be REALLY fun to see, actually.

http://www.myspace.com/sandiegotikicarvers

"96 tears from 96 eyes".....RIP Lux Interior

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 01:46 am   Permalink

hey billy how much space will there be for us choppers? would i be abble to bring a few paintings and tikis to try and sell?

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 02:33 am   Permalink

If we get there early enough, we can have as much space as we need. The bed of my truck will be part of the carving area as well, so we have a place to put our tools and what not. I usually don't really SELL much at events like this, but I give out a lot of cards and have gotten a lot of call-backs as of late. I'm sure it's cool, but let me check with Mick(the owner) first.

View Profile of Billy the Crud Send a personal message to Billy the Crud  Email Billy the Crud Goto the website of Billy the Crud     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 06:49 am   Permalink

The Tower Bar is an amazing bar, cause it's a converted 1930's-era soda fountain & former beauty shop.

It's sort of part of the Egyptian Art Deco movement that hit San Diego back then, you can still see Egyptian buildings all along Park Bvd at University.

It's also the bar where one guy was so thirsty he couldn't wait to park. 1964:

And - they have the coolest vinyl car stickers I've ever seem.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 5:07 pm   Permalink

Hey, Camm, thanks for posting that pic. They have Tshirts available with that on them as well.

The TRUE story of that incident is that a regular from the bar got into it with his wife over being at The Tower more than he was home. She got fed up with it one day, driving her car through the front door in a fit of rage. One patron was crushed and killed, but her husband was unhurt. Crazy shit, eh?

Originally, the kitchen was upstairs(the dumbwaiter is still in the office, which used to be behind the original bar),then it was a beauty salon and a couple of other things, but now it's Tower Tattoo. Lots of "shady" stories behind the place, but now it's owned by Mick, an Australian rocker who has made San Diego his home. Google "Tower Bar San Diego" and you'll find a lot of cool history as well as currents.

[ This Message was edited by: Billy the Crud 2008-07-07 23:25 ]

bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 10:24 am   Permalink

nice history posts there,
thanks,

I just realized that the show is starting at 2 pm.
Doh!!!
what time does this go till?

as I wouldn't be able to be down there till at least 6 pm.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 12:29 pm   Permalink

ZSC isn't scheduled to go on until like 8, if you look at their page. Bar opens at 2 and the party goes until whenever, pretty much. No worries, man. If you got there at 6pm, you'd probably catch the last band or two.

skull duggery

Posted: 2008-07-12 10:21 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I'm totally there! Lookin forward to takin it all in.

[ This Message was edited by: skull duggery 2008-07-12 22:21 ]

View Profile of skull duggery Send a personal message to skull duggery      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 8:21 pm   Permalink

its just around the corner!

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Billy the Crud
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-15 06:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-14 20:21, tikithomas08 wrote:
its just around the corner!

Yup! This Sunday, man........and some new news......There will be a MAN EATING FISH on display.

tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-15 3:49 pm   Permalink

a man eating fish ?

[ This Message was edited by: tikithomas08 2008-07-15 15:50 ]

kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-16 2:28 pm   Permalink

Being that it's a few minutes from my place, it would be foolish not drive the old A100 over there for a looksee.
I'll definitely try to make it.

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-16 11:09 pm   Permalink

Ran,
thats cool your going,
If it was at 5 or so, I would be there for sure.
bummed im gonna miss it,
eat a bunch of twinkies or spam for me.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation