FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Waikiki Motel, Disneyland/Anaheim, CA (motel)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Waikiki Motel, Disneyland/Anaheim, CA (motel)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 5:08 pm   Permalink

Name:Waikiki Motel
Type:motel
Street:631 W. Katella Avenue
City:Disneyland/Anaheim
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
The Waikiki Motel was located on Katella Avenue next to Disneyland.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 5:13 pm   Permalink

Waikiki Motel, Anaheim, CA

I picked up some new postcards from the Waikiki Motel in Anaheim near Disneyland.

This is the exterior painting, looks like a copy of the Ken Kimes Tropics Hotel postcard paintings. Cool view of the Matterhorn in the backdrop.

This one is the pool scene with the Tiki Hut, Hawaiian ladies and fruit bowl that is in Tiki Modern.

Here is a split-view shot with the exterior neon sign and another pool scene with Hawaiian maidens and fruit. You can see the Tiki Hut in the back of the pool.

Here is the address and motel info.

Does anybody out there have a brochure or matchbook from this place?

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 5:20 pm   Permalink

Nice! Now that's LA for ya: Waikiki just in front of the Matterhorn! And the lady by the pool, enjoying the tropical fruits of the ...orange grove, home to Miehana!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 10:11 am   Permalink

does anybody know when that closed and was torn down?
I'm having a hard time recognizing it, and remembering it.

but thanks for posting.
great pics.

Jeff(bigtikidue)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 7:21 pm   Permalink

I don't know when it was closed down, and torn down or remodeled, but according to Google Maps, it is now the Desert Palms Hotel. It's almost directly on the corner of Katella and Harbor, just west of the intersection on Katella, next door to the 7-11. I couldn't get a decent view on Google Map's street view, so you think you can snap off a couple pics the next time you cruise by it, Jeff?

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-05 2:40 pm   Permalink

pics yes, I finally got a camera.
posting them thats a prob.

I'll try.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-12 4:42 pm   Permalink

I just got a nice brochure from the Waikiki Motel by Disneyland. It has several of the same pictures as the postcards I posted before as well as a few more.

Also a listing of the things to do in the area map of the area with lots to do.

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-12 6:13 pm   Permalink

The horrible monstrosity that replacesd this place should be avoided at risk of life & limb. Just go to the Candy Cane Inn, owned by the same family for like 4795378 years, right beside Disneyland.

It's famous for constantly being badgered by DisneyInc. to sell the property, as it's actually kind of ON park grounds, but they will nevah sell. It's cute, convenient, has great breakfasts, shuttles to & from, and still has candy cane pens at the front desk if you ask for 'em.

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-08 6:27 pm   Permalink

Picked up another older brochure from the Waikiki Motel next to Disneyland.

The cover graphics

The Disneyland package deal

Some other fun things to do while in LA

Exciting air travel

Sad to see all of these places gone.

DC

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-22 05:37 am   Permalink

This is one of my favorite matchbook covers in a newly acquired collection:

interior

I love the way they used to do this gold ink printing on matchbook covers from the 40's and 50's, so much classier than the foils. I really dig the logo it kind of reminds me of 60's/70's Orange Crush logos.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 4:36 pm   Permalink

Tigertail,

Nice score. How many matchbooks where in the collection you got?

Here is a comparison of some different versions of the Waikiki matchbook.

I have to agree with you, the one you posted is my favorite in style too.

DC

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-23 5:40 pm   Permalink

Just the one for Waikiki Motel, it was a collection of tiki themed matchbooks totaling about 16. I didn't post a lot of them because they are already on TC.

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-18 10:20 am   Permalink

I scored a nice letterhead set from the Waikiki.

Same matchbook logo on the envelope.

The stationary had a nice Tiki image added.

Borrowed from Trader Vic's of course. Except for the Waikiki Motel Tiki is kneeling.

DC

tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-03-18 5:05 pm   Permalink

Very cool Dusty, thanks for posting the stationary stuff. Now I finally see what some of those tiny symbols are supposed to be: a umbrella top view (presumably the paper kind found in drinks), and a grass hula skirt top view (notice it is not a complete circle and has a broken opening). Nifty!

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-28 10:00 pm   Permalink

A quick shot of the Waikiki Motel with its neon sign blinking, from some old home movies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wCAa73CiLcY#t=734

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation