FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki South Pacific Restaurant, Chicago, IL (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
South Pacific Restaurant, Chicago, IL (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 5:56 pm   Permalink

Name:South Pacific Restaurant
Type:restaurant
Street:28-30 West Randolph Street
City:Chicago
State:IL
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
This is an old restaurant in Chicago that served American, Cantonese and Chinese food.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 6:06 pm   Permalink

I found this menu for the South Pacific Restaurant in Chicago. I had never heard about this place on TC or anywhere else and was wondering if anybody has any other information?

Here is the menu.

Check out these drink names from the menu. Pretty creative stuff before Don the Beachcomber and Trader Vic came up with all of the modern day standards.

The choices seem to be either wanton lust with exotic women or lost at sea on a deserted island!

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 07:10 am   Permalink

chicago was host to not only the big names in tiki like vics, kona kai and the beachcomber, but also alot of little "one-off" places like south pacific, tradewinds, the polynesian, tong's tiki hut, jimmy wong's, pago pago, shanghai-lil's, shangri-la (which is where the cook and the decor of chef shangri-la came from), sneaky tiki(aka paradise club), cyril's house of tiki and many more...it's amazing to think of what a hot bed of tiki this town was back at it's peak of polynesian themed places...you couldn't hit all the places in one weekend of drinking, but it would have been fun trying...

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 08:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-01 07:10, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
chicago was host to not only the big names in tiki like vics, kona kai and the beachcomber, but also alot of little "one-off" places like south pacific, tradewinds, the polynesian, tong's tiki hut, jimmy wong's, pago pago, shanghai-lil's, shangri-la (which is where the cook and the decor of chef shangri-la came from), sneaky tiki(aka paradise club), cyril's house of tiki and many more...it's amazing to think of what a hot bed of tiki this town was back at it's peak of polynesian themed places...you couldn't hit all the places in one weekend of drinking, but it would have been fun trying...

Great news!!!

Now where's that blasted time machine?

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 08:48 am   Permalink

If not for the Chicago Don's and Trader Vic's, we would not have the Mai Kai and Kahiki and probably 50 more Polynesian restaurants across the east and south east.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 09:26 am   Permalink

Arrrgh, each time I get reminded of THE Tiki crime of the decade, the razing of the Chicago Trader Vic's, I get mad. A minute of silence please...

Chicago was THE classic Old World-style bustling metropolis were the concept of the tropical hideway as escape from the concrete jungle really hit the spot and flourished. Three of ten restaurants on the page below are South Seas themed:

These ads are from a 1958 Schubert Theatre stage bill.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 12:04 pm   Permalink

ahhh yes..honolulu harry's waikiki....almost forgot!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 2:57 pm   Permalink

Thought I'd add this from my collection.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-01 5:24 pm   Permalink

Tipsy - You, of all people, could have done Chicago in one weekend. It's all in the planning. You start at Don's for Lunch on Saturday and work your way through three or four more spots the rest of the day. On Sunday, its up early for Brunch at Trader Vic's and that gives you the rest of the day and night to knock of the other 4 or 5 locations. Think of the challenge!

Uncle Trav, thanks for posting the matchbook from the South Pacific, I knew there had to be some other items from this place out there. I have never seen a postcard??

Bigbro, A moment of silence will be offered over tonight's Mai Tai in honor of the Traders demise.

In keeping with a broader Chicago theme, here are postcards etc. from a few other restaurants that were mentioned by Tipsy and Bigbro.

Trader Vic's Palmer House with the nice Tiki by Barney West

Kon Tiki Ports Papeete Room, Macao Room, Singapore Joes Tavern and Saigon Room in the Sheraton Hotel

Shangri-La Restaurant postcard and drink menu

Shanghai Lil's

Nobody mentioned the Tropics Restaurant in the Chicagoan Hotel

Honolulu Harry's Waikiki Restaurant oversized postcard. I have a lot of paper from this place so I will make a separate post under Locating Tiki.

The Windy City, my kind of town.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-05 6:19 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-07-05 18:20 ]

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-29 7:07 pm   Permalink

Another matchbook from the South Pacific.

The bar looks like it was called the Guam Outpost and the owner was Harry Eng.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-11 09:24 am   Permalink

Here is a cool little ashtray from the South Pacific that was on ebay.

DC

Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-04-11 09:38 am   Permalink

Interesting - the address is right next to - an part of the same building as - the Oriental Theater (c. 1926), so they would have had a whole exotic theme going on in the day...

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Maui Chimes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-31 5:46 pm   Permalink

Thought that i would document this photo alblum and photo to the "Guam-Outpost" here before this item goes on the chopping block . (See the marketplace for e-bay link)

Aloha!

MC

View Profile of Maui Chimes Send a personal message to Maui Chimes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-06 11:59 am   Permalink

Faalia, who was the original fireknife dancer at the Mai-Kai was working here at the South Pacific when he was hired to move down south. The menu is in his collection.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation