FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki chunk swag lamps
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
chunk swag lamps
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-26 10:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-26 08:32, OceaOtica wrote:
awesome to see that guys work and studio! I am actually in the process of making my first one. Will have to post picks when i get er done. Also just realized i never posted pics of my vintage ones, time to pull out the camera

Looking forward to the results! Which also brings us to the question of "toxic fumes" we were discussing earlier.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-28 08:49 am   Permalink

Hey Sven, hope to have one ready for Tiki Wonderland. As for fumes and such have done research on materials, talked to tech guy at material manufacturer and have access to tools at work to get rid of that stuff. Excited about new shapes and such, now to get back to work

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-28 3:05 pm   Permalink

I'm so excited about new resin/chunk lamps being made. It's something I thought of doing for a long time but never got around to.

I was very concerned about the possibility of these lights emitting cancerous chemicals when heated up by even a low wattage light bulb from inside. So, I did a little research.

I had a conversation with my uncle who was a research chemist for Monsanto for several decades. He has hundreds of patents and a research grant named after him. Brilliant guy. I felt a little sheepish asking him about how best to make Tiki lamps, but I bit the bullet and did just that.

He advised against using the kind of resin that we see many Tiki pendants and other objects being made out of. Basically, against anything from Reynolds Advanced Materials over in North Hollywood (a favorite for many in the Tiki community and also for special effects designers).

However, my uncle did recommend two safe options: 1) epoxy fiberglass resin and 2) Polycarbonate CR-39 or other polyester and especially fiber-filled casting formulations using these polymers.

I talked to the guys at Reynolds and they confirmed what my uncle said and then suggested AP products in Pacoima, CA. AP does carry polyester resins.

I never made it up there to check them out. I never got price quotes or found out more about using their polyester resins.

However, I thought I'd pass it on and maybe somebody else would find the info useful.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-28 7:52 pm   Permalink

Yes Tom, important distinction, not all resins, or epoxies, are suitable for this craft. I question the use of polyester resin, as mekp, the catylist, is particularly noxious and even in post curing the vapors and smell are evident for quite some time after. Polyester resin is also brittle and does not hold up particularly well to heat. A common form of this resin is found in hardware and autobody supply for car and boat repair; to be reinforced with fiberglass. Higher quality resins, unlike most common filled casting resins such as Smoothcast are not suitable for this application, where higher temperatures will be a constant. There are high temp resins that when properly post cured and given adequate time to outgas, from my research and conversations with manufacturers, are suitable for this application. I am also due to have a further conversation with a Dean of Sciences about the materials.
I and numerous others have the vintage resin lamps in our homes, all made with the resins available in the sixties, when the chemicals used in the manufacturing were commonly much more hazardous. I have posed this question before, and wonder what test can be found to see if these lamps, now 50 years or so old, are continuing to outgas, and if so are the amounts negligible (in impact to health)?

[ This Message was edited by: oceaotica 2011-11-29 07:00 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-11-28 8:26 pm   Permalink

My uncle said that fears of outgassing are often exaggerated, but a way to double-check on any particular material is to look up its MSDS Sheet (Material Safety Data Sheet):

http://www.msds.com/

A Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) (also known as PSDS (Product safety data sheet) or a COSHH data sheet in the United Kingdom) is a form with data regarding the properties of a particular substance.

An important component of product stewardship and workplace safety, it is intended to provide workers and emergency personnel with procedures for handling or working with that substance in a safe manner, and includes information such as physical data (melting point, boiling point, flash point, etc.), toxicity, health effects, first aid, reactivity, storage, disposal, protective equipment, and spill-handling procedures. MSDS formats can vary from source to source within a country depending on national requirements.

I'm sure that the perfect material is out there and you will find it. Good luck with your research!

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigRedTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-01-07 2:28 pm   Permalink

I picked this green beauty up at a small shop in Omaha for $75, after seeing it in the background of a Craigslist ad. It looks similar to the Sears catalog photos earlier in this thread.

Brought it home and I think it really makes a great addition to the room.

I still want to buy one of the beautful pieces from this thread and will get one someday:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=41701&forum=12&51

View Profile of BigRedTiki Send a personal message to BigRedTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bongo Bungalow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-08 02:39 am   Permalink

Really nice BigRed! I'd go so far as to say it MAKES the room! (And you've a very swanky pad goin' on there.) Love the green on that lamp-- kinda takes to an outer space place.

View Profile of Bongo Bungalow Send a personal message to Bongo Bungalow  Email Bongo Bungalow Goto the website of Bongo Bungalow     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-08 09:45 am   Permalink

I'm gonna go out on a limb & say "That's prolly the coolest room in Nebraska!" Is that white, spaceship-looking thing a Hi-Fi?

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-08 09:51 am   Permalink

Since Wendy's discovery of Roger and the Laguna Lamps story, this thread has made a big step forward in resin swag research. I love giong thru the pages and marveling at the incredible variety of the art form.

I recently was at Kevin & Jody's studio in Anaheim again, and decided to document some of THEIR lamp collection, only the unique examples:

The "French Toast" and the "Planet":

classic Pear:

resin fish net?:

and Tiki head:

(I forgot if it's old or revival)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-08 10:10 am   Permalink

Great pics, Sven. I love "The Planet".

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-08 1:16 pm   Permalink

Excellent find Mike! Goes great in your space.

Thanks for the pictures Sven, love the lamps.

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigRedTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-01-09 07:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-01-08 09:45, Big Kahuna wrote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb & say "That's prolly the coolest room in Nebraska!" Is that white, spaceship-looking thing a Hi-Fi?

The "space ship" is stereo, a Weltron 2005, more on it in the Beyond Tiki Finds page:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=5588&forum=6&start=750&761

Thanks for all the complements and to Sven for posting the new pics!

View Profile of BigRedTiki Send a personal message to BigRedTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-12 09:16 am   Permalink

Wow, I love these lamps. That tiki head is wonderful. I wrote to Roge about some of the lamps to see if they were his from when he had Laguna Lamps in the 60's. Here's what he said. Wendy

This is by Laguna Lamps. This design has not been made again since the 60's.

The top two are Laguna Lamps #102 the bottom is by someone else.

This 8 sided lamp was by Roge or his Laguna Lamps made in 1978 (the year I married Dan).

12"id, 15" od Globe, amber/gold rock. I have made several in the past 6 months, see them on etsy.com. Laguna Lamps made quite a few in the 60's and I remember them as being 10" or 12" but I can't remember if that was the inside or outside diameter. In the 60's the basic shell was fiberglass. What I use now is clear acrylic.

Here are a few that Roge is making now and selling on Etsy.com.

I sculpted the tikis for him to cast.

This is a wonderful thread. I loved finding all the lamps that tie Roge to the tiki palaces of the past. Cheers, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-01-12 09:18 am   Permalink

Roge has shared his brochure from his lamp company from 1962. These specific lamps are not for sale, check Etsy for what is. He keeps coming up with new designs and I will be doing some more tiki related sculpts for him. Cheers, Wendy

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtLampDesignByRoger?page=1

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-01-15 09:36 am   Permalink

Check out this whole tree of Laguna Lamps at the famed Trade Winds restaurant in Oxnard!:

What also belongs in this thread are OceaAtica's cool mini resin lamp ornaments, of which I got two at the Tonga Hut Christmas sale:

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation