FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki chunk swag lamps
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
chunk swag lamps
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 08:38 am   Permalink

Here are a few resin lamps from my collection and while chunky lamps are fun you really have to put toggle bolts on the ceiling or you may wake up to find the lamp in pieces on the floor so be warned, I wish I was.

Spaghetti that benefit with colored bulbs and a white one is like those oriental lamps at Ikea

I saw on just like this one on the film The Trip and believe it's a handicraft

It also has a desktop model

A chunky pole lamp that works well around Christmas

A "Plamp" with resin flowers and colored bulbs make bright flowers

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
caffeinated
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-08 09:42 am   Permalink

I think these are certainly a project you could make yourself if you were so inclined. Simple versions would be fairly easy.
Just buy a glass shade in the desired shape; a cheap random one from a thrift store to practice on first. Chunks of decorative glass or gravel can probably be obtained at a craft store, though how large of pieces I don't know. Glue large pieces on at random first with a clear 2 part epoxy glue (they sell it in 2 minute cures as well). In the spaces between spread more clear if using colored gravel pieces or use a black epoxy with possibly sand or gravel stuck in if you just want highlighted chunks. Or skip the large chunks using just small gravel type pieces. It might be good to seal the whole thing with lacquer on the outside surface.
Most epoxies withstand high heat (I've used them to repair art glass shades before), but really with compact fluorescents you don't have to worry about heat.
With some time & practice you could likely make some elaborate pieces.

View Profile of caffeinated Send a personal message to caffeinated      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 10:24 am   Permalink

Resin chunk swag lamps are easily accessible at Pasadena and Long Beach flea markets. I've seen them anywhere from $80 low end to $170 high end on average. I don't think I've ever recieved an answer on a chunk swag lamp over $200, but then again all of this goes back to what bigbro said. Also,auctions and flea market sellers can obviously ask any price they want to, it just depends if they are REALLY interested in selling it, or sitting on it, and the price usually reflects that.

I know personally, if I had to drag a bunch of "wares/merchandise" to a swap/flea market, and set it up, I'd hate like hell to have to pack it all back up and take it home just to unload it again . Although most sellers are not like this(thank god!), I've seen some vendors do this, and its almost like they have their own little "show and tell", and if someone is willing to pay for the high markup on the item, they will part with it. I guess it takes all kinds.
As with anything else in life, patience and persistence is virtue...I've learned this from ebay. If you don't get it this time, there will always be one down the line, and probably more in your price range........

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2008-07-08 10:25 ]

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 1:42 pm   Permalink

Speaking of self-made versions (they were all hand made..but where and how?), here is one I posted here before but did not explain. Another relic from The Tikis:

They took a regular off-white fiberglass float and glued shards of real glass on it, securing it with some kind of putty in between. That thing is really heavy with all that glass and putty, but it's held up great outside.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 2:40 pm   Permalink

hey , we have one of those.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 3:02 pm   Permalink

Very nice, mine does not have the lower white shade. These were also made in the tubular straight cylinder style. Really thick, heavy resin. I am not absolutely certain these were used at Ships, but I have seen Ships lamps that were made with the same resin stick color combo and pattern.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-07-09 15:04 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 4:26 pm   Permalink

this one is not mine . i just walked thru the vintage store where i have a booth and took some pics of some of the hanging and chunk lights they have there.then i noticed you had one like it.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 4:28 pm   Permalink

caffeinated
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-09 4:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-08 08:38, naugatiki wrote:

A "Plamp" with resin flowers and colored bulbs make bright flowers

There are 2 of these at an antique mall in Cincinnati. I think one had red shades & one had blue, but they may have been mixed color sets. Don't remember their asking price but that mall is really reasonable & they had 20% off at that booth. Its on Red Bank Road if anyone near enough wanted to go for a drive.

View Profile of caffeinated Send a personal message to caffeinated      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 4:31 pm   Permalink

others,

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 4:33 pm   Permalink

still more

TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 4:35 pm   Permalink

i like these. this guy has seven of these

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 5:11 pm   Permalink

OK David, this is getting a little strange: First you have that same "Ships" lamp, and now...

...at your store-

And here are some more lamps from around MY house:

OK, this one and the next are not an exact match...but those first two really threw me!

bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-09 10:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-09 17:11, bigbrotiki wrote:
OK David, this is getting a little strange: First you have that same "Ships" lamp, and now...

Damn, now I've got the shivers! Too weird.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 02:44 am   Permalink

NO SHIT ! how scary is that? None of those are mine, they all belong to differnt dealers. Let me know if you want to double up on any of them.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation