FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Kountzyro Shows off his Polystyrene Tikis
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Kountzyro Shows off his Polystyrene Tikis
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-02 2:31 pm   Permalink

Hello

This thread will showcase some of my sculptural creations. I work as a scenic artist building displays, props, and scenery for a variety of clients from museums, to department stores, restaurants and theme parks. So I have some access to materials to create some side-projects for myself. Here then, over the next few posts, are a few that I've built beginning with "Stoney":

Stoney is 11" tall, carved from white bead-foam, coated with a stippled and sanded application of Roscoe "Foamcoat", and painted with various layers of dry brush and wash techniques to give him a rough granite like appearance.

[ This Message was edited by: kountzyro 2009-12-27 20:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kountzyro 2012-05-11 22:27 ]

View Profile of kountzyro Send a personal message to kountzyro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-02 2:41 pm   Permalink

This is Woody:

Woody is 8 1/2" tall, constructed in the same fashion as Stoney, except for a smooth finish. He is give
a faux wood-grain look - natch!

View Profile of kountzyro Send a personal message to kountzyro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 2:46 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC! Stoney looks great - I love the Hawaii / Rapa Nui stylistic crossover you've got going on.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-02 2:59 pm   Permalink

This little guy has a futuristic quality to him that some friends of mine feel is like a robot/tiki hybrid.
I call him, R'Oboo, for that reason.

At a mere 6" tall, R'Oboo, is the smallest of my hand crafted tikis. With the paint effect I was trying for the look of some unknown, exotic, gem-like ore, perhaps like an alien hybrid of jade and marble. Also, I just wanted to have another blue tinted tiki, outside of my mug collection.

[ This Message was edited by: kountzyro 2008-07-02 15:01 ]

kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-02 3:15 pm   Permalink

Here we have a guy who reminds me somewhat of the famous Edvard Munch painting. I call him the Screamer, for no other reason than that, and the sad fact that I have a hard time naming my pieces.

The orange paint-job was applied in a faux-woodgrain fashion, though the brilliant colors remind me somewhat of flames. He is 12" tall.

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 4:51 pm   Permalink

Nice work. I like how they are sorta abstract and
the mouth is full of life.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-02 5:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks Paipo and Surfseek!

My main influences are pop-polynesian mug styles, so I definitely go for a "modern" look when carving.
I usually don't have any design in mind when I start on my originals, but I begin with the mouths and go from there.

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 5:13 pm   Permalink

Hey Kount, Welcome to TC, Come on in and stay awhile. Nice stuff you have here, and like Paipo, I'm partial to your Moai guy, I think he has a nice personality. The Futurstiki tiki is cool too.
Keep up the good work.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ManoKoa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-03 9:50 pm   Permalink

Hello and welcome -

How strong is that foamcoat?

I have some foam I have been planning to carve but I just don't know what to do to finish them.

MK

[ This Message was edited by: ManoKoa 2008-07-03 22:30 ]

View Profile of ManoKoa Send a personal message to ManoKoa  Email ManoKoa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-04 10:58 am   Permalink

Thanks for the kind encouragement, Benzart.

Manokoa-

Foamcoat is fairly durable. But it can be punctured. I am not certain how it would hold up under exterior conditions. The good thing about it, other than it being water-based, is that it has some flex to it. Foam being soft, gives way under most hard coatings upon impact which can cause fractures in the exterior.

I have used fiberglass on some larger projects, but that requires first coating the foam with plaster, or foil. Fiberglass, however, has very little give and cracks rather easily due to the soft nature of the foam interior.

Poly-urea is a rather toxic iso-polymer spray that is used to cover exterior architectural elements. It is very durable and has a good amount of give. But this product is hard to come by unless you have access to those who use this coating professionally.

Of the options fiberglass is the cheapest and most durable. Foamcoat, and a few other specialty products like it, are rather expensive, but provide good results and are easier to work with. I have also coated foem sculptures with a plaster/drywall compound mixture, but that makes for a rather fragile coating.

Foamcoat is available here:
http://www.rosebrand.com/product337/Rosco-Foam-Coat.aspx

-though maybe you can find it elsewhere as well. It retails for just under $50 per gallon.

I have also used a construction industry product called Dryvit which is like a fibrous type of quick drying concrete, but it is usefull only for rough textures.

Hope this is helpfull. I know of some other products as well, and can give you some more finishing tips, dependant upon the product you choose. Just holler at me and I'll be glad to share some more info!

kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-06 12:48 pm   Permalink

This tiki was coated with a plaster and drywall compound mix and then painted. The final protective layer was
achieved by applying a couple of coats of a self-leveling clear marine epoxy.

For the paint "look" I decided that the high gloss finish of the marine epoxy gave the piece a ceramic type quality, so I used a paint spatter technique that reminded me of those huge old '60's era ashtrays my folks used to have around the house.

He's 7" tall.

[ This Message was edited by: kountzyro 2008-07-06 14:06 ]

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 8:27 pm   Permalink

Kountzyro, you have a very nice style to your pieces, I like how they are so different from a lot of other pieces here on TC.I really like the last piece, the green colored one. Post some more pictures for us when you can.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-12 4:12 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hiltiki!

There are more pics coming soon. Some older pieces and works in progress.

Thanks for your appreciation of my personal stylization. I suppose my tikis look the way they do because of the raw materials I use. A block of foam has a very different potential from a log so when I seek to release the tiki form from its raw material I am most likely trying to find inspiration in my natural relationship to the material's strengths and weaknesses.

My mantra is that the block of foam wants to be a tiki and I am merely there to assist in the birthing process.

kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-15 6:56 pm   Permalink

Here's an older tiki of mine. He's 16" tall and coated with a very durable polyurea/elastomer finish. He was then painted to resemble a stone carved object.

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-15 7:03 pm   Permalink

Nice work sure looks like stone to me.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation