FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Kountzyro Shows off his Polystyrene Tikis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Kountzyro Shows off his Polystyrene Tikis
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-24 6:54 pm   Permalink

Nice Stuff Kountzero and I even like the one that looks like wood! You pulled that one off pretty well.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-27 07:39 am   Permalink

I love the funky facial expressions you give them. They just give me a warm smile whenever I look at them.

Aloha!

Marcus

View Profile of Aweulekuula Send a personal message to Aweulekuula      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-04 8:37 pm   Permalink

Thank you Benzart, always good to get encouragement from one of the masters.

And Aweulekuula, glad that my creations can give you a smile or two. I have a background as a cartoonist as well so exaggerated forms and a good bit of humor just seem to naturally translate to my work as a tiki carver. Plus, they are meant to give myself some joy with their presence in my home, so its good to know that its obvious to others that they radiate some good vibes!

Now here's some progress photos:

Here you can see the form after it has been hard coated. I tint a primer coat and that way when I skim coat a white plaster/joint compound mix over the surface to cover imperfections I can more easily define where and when to stop sanding and determine if I need more fill. In this case the deep recesses are filled with some painters caulk. And also you can see the raw umber base coating that will form the under layer for the wood graining process.

Next in these two photos you can see the wood grain application. Burnt Umber watered down to an inky consistency and applied with a cheap 2 inch "chip brush". The next step will be a glaze coating of burnt sienna over the whole surface. Then finally some burnt umber and black washes to push back the areas I want to deepen, and to generally tone down some of the burnt sienna's redness.

Finished pics soon.

View Profile of kountzyro Send a personal message to kountzyro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-13 3:12 pm   Permalink

Here's the final paint finish:

View Profile of kountzyro Send a personal message to kountzyro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drasticwagon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 6:51 pm   Permalink

Nice Job

View Profile of drasticwagon Send a personal message to drasticwagon  Goto the website of drasticwagon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-13 7:48 pm   Permalink

Cool! looks like wood. Yes the hot tools would
make easy work of that foam.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-01 7:27 pm   Permalink

Hello again!

Its been quite some time since I was last able to do a carving! Fortunately I've gotten a free moment lately and was able to slip a new project through. So, in time for the holdays, when some folks carve a turkey - I carve a tiki! Here's a few photos of my latest foam creation. This time I chose to make a "golden idol" by painting him with two different metallic gold acrylic paints. I then glazed in a couple of colors on top to deepen the shadows.

I've just gotten him home from the shop and am experimenting with how he photographs in the low light of my night-time apartment.

I'll post a daytime shot or two when can later to see the difference. I'm also going to add at least three layers of a high gloss clear-coat.

Check him out:

[ This Message was edited by: kountzyro 2009-12-01 19:28 ]

kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-14 6:53 pm   Permalink

Well, I've started another one.

I'm not sure how I'm going to paint him yet. But here's a progress shot that shows the foam carving with the first rough layer of hardcoating that I'm just beginning to sand. Next comes a skim coating to even out indentations and imperfections in the base coat.

Aweulekuula
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-17 5:41 pm   Permalink

Oooooh!

That is really amazing how you can texture that paintjob to come out like that. It really DOES look like wood. I also love the way you modulate the lighting to get the tiki to express such different "moods".

Aloha!

Marcus

View Profile of Aweulekuula Send a personal message to Aweulekuula      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-18 6:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words Aweulekuula!

I find your own work to be quite unique and love the smooth curvatures that you pull from natural sources. They look like they would feel great in one's hands!

Now here's an update on my latest carve:

I based him out in blue so that I could see the areas that needed filling and sanding better. Plus I gave him some teeth, though it looks like in this photo that he's missing one. Since I snapped this shot, I've primed him again and after one more slight skimming he'll be ready for his paint job. At this moment I'm thinking of a silver metallic base with several shades of blue and violet glazing. We'll see how it turns out...

kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-12-27 11:53 am   Permalink

So, here's my latest sculpt rocking a metallic paint-job:

He was based out in Modern Masters brand metallic silver and then glazed over with several different colors. The glazes, teal, pthalo blue, blue-violet, and, violet-black, were created by adding Cal-Tint brand coloring to satin poly-acrylic. They were then sprayed on using an airbrush. Lighter colors were applied first and then the darker ones applied successively, covering less surface area and used to push back the recessed areas.

kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-22 4:21 pm   Permalink

Hi everyone.

I'm back after a bit of a hiatus and ready to make a new tiki!
Here's the first step:

I'm excited to be carving again.

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-22 4:43 pm   Permalink

Great start!

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-22 8:40 pm   Permalink

Wow I love all your work! I hope you post more often. Do you sell your tikis?

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-23 2:15 pm   Permalink

4WDtiki- Thanks for the encouragement!

Leleliz - Very much obliged for your kind words. I haven't tried selling anything yet. But I'm open to the idea of doing commissioned pieces.
Everything that I've done so far has been experimentation with different styles and as such they are a bit too personal for me to part
with. But if I were to do something for a client and the price was right I'd be happy to let a tiki go to a good and loving home!

And now here's today's update:

(He's sitting atop a fake tree stump I'm working on for a department store display window.)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation