FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Kountzyro Shows off his Polystyrene Tikis
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Kountzyro Shows off his Polystyrene Tikis
tikigodz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-23 6:41 pm   Permalink

Really cool idea
Can you post a pic of your tools?

View Profile of tikigodz Send a personal message to tikigodz  Email tikigodz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-26 7:37 pm   Permalink

Looking good. They are coming along very nice.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-27 5:14 pm   Permalink

Seeksurf, thanks as always for your continued support! Its good to be back here among so many carvers sharing inspiration and good cheer.

And, Tikigodz, well, here's today's update with some of my tools thrown in the mix. As you can see, I've primed my sculpt with a tinted primer.
For this I am using Rosco brand Tough Prime, which as its name implies is a heavy duty primer. With a couple of coats it can act as a low density hard-coating to give the foam some durability. We have a couple of new products around the shop that I may try out as a further layer of protection, I'm not sure yet though how much I'm going to put into this one yet.

As for the tools you asked about, here's the list.

He's sitting on a large hotwire table, which I used to cut out the rough cylindrical shape. I usually use a band-saw for that on other occasions. The table wire was also used to cut out the large mouth shape.

Most of the carving was done with those snap-off blades you see there and the SureForm rasp. Also the sand paper is very useful. The other hotwire wand was used to lay his teeth in and also his tongue. It's a little easier than using the small snap-blade, but either takes about the same amount of time. Other than that the japanese saw and the regular hand-saw are just used in this case to give me the initial block that I worked on the table wire. And the wire brush is a great foam working tool, that I use for other projects. I also have a few other specialty rasps and smaller wire brushes I'll try to get around to posting pictures of with future projects that I amy be using them upon.

More to come...

View Profile of kountzyro Send a personal message to kountzyro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-28 6:54 pm   Permalink

side view

View Profile of kountzyro Send a personal message to kountzyro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-07-30 4:51 pm   Permalink

Finished up today. The idea for my finish and paint job was "lava rock", so I was able to leave a lot of the foam's texture as it would help the whole piece to read as porous rock, with my paint job.

As is usual for painting rock-work, my technique was a build-up of gradually lighter hued dry-brushings which I then knock back with colored washes. The dry brush colors were purples and the washes were venetian red and black. Then a final very limited light purple drybrush keyed down with a very thin black wash
were added for dramatic highlights.

viola!

Unfortunately after this picture I sealed it with an allegedly "flat finish" clear coat which despite its name left the overall tiki with a slight sheen that lessens the subtleties of the paint job.

Oh, well, he still looks great at home anyway. See:

[ This Message was edited by: kountzyro 2010-07-30 16:55 ]

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-30 9:41 pm   Permalink

Well done! He totally looks like a rock.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ToddVegas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-15 9:04 pm   Permalink

Hello Friend!

I love the fact that tiki carvers worry that cracks might appear in a bad spot on the wood, and ruin a tiki... Whereas you actually need to carve cracks into your foam to make it look like wood!

Awesome work!

Thanks for your time.
TODD

View Profile of ToddVegas Send a personal message to ToddVegas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation