FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Where did this go wrong? A collector's lament for the ages!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Where did this go wrong? A collector's lament for the ages!
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 7:41 pm   Permalink

There is a reason why I am Psycho!

This afternoon I was faced with emptying my garage for some contractor work that is scheduled to begin on Thursday. Somewhere along the way I have transitioned my collecting from one variation to another. I have collected stamps and coins, bottles, comic books, toy trains, superhero toys, robots and space toys, records and rock memorabilia, vintage home movies, board games and other stuff along the way.

I have found that for the most part, it is never easy to say goodbye, ergo my painful garage full of crap!
I decided about two-thirds of the way of emptying the garage, I would take some pictures and share my pain with you. My you, these pictures represent only a small snapshot of what I moved outside. I haven't touched the rafter storage, nor does this even scratch the surface of the closets and nooks of stuff packed away in the house.

Look, if you dare, into the nightmare of a collector....

Pile of stuff before pictures were taken.

Part two!

Yes, this is a Spiderman Hoppity Hop!

Growing ever so tired and not even close to being finished. Collectors beware, this could happen to you!

It's all gotta go, so if you see anything that you need to have, PM me and maybe we can trade? Boxes and boxes full of stuff! My wife is seriously thinking about calling Dr Phil, so help me out!

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and it's Psycho for a reason)!

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-07-07 7:50 pm   Permalink

Read it, learn it, live it and then tell me what it says. I'm too lazy to read it myself.

Thanks!

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 7:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-07 19:50, Bora Boris wrote:
Read it, learn it, live it and then tell me what it says. I'm too lazy to read it myself.

Thanks!

What?? Now you want me to learn to read?? That is not fair! It there a "Books on Tape" version?

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 8:47 pm   Permalink

Seriously, you need major intervention. You know it is really easy to collect, but getting rid of things is the hardest for me.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 9:26 pm   Permalink

there's ebay gold in them thar buckets!!!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-07 9:29 pm   Permalink

The horrors!!!

A great quote...."The rarely used objects that clutter our lives are not really objects at all but symbols of our plans and untapped potential."

You have some neat collectibles...if you can live without them...kaching kaching...money for the lounge!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-07 9:57 pm   Permalink

I feel your pain. I have a ton of horror collectibles all boxed away waiting for the day I can create a separate Horror Hotel bar.
Maybe try and turn a buck on the stuff your not as emotionally attached to. Man, I really do feel your pain.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-08 07:46 am   Permalink

I'm with Tipsy, that's why God created E-bay. "I'll tell you what's real satisfying...cash!" (Rodney Danderfield - Caddyshack)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 08:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-08 07:46, MadDogMike wrote:
I'm with Tipsy, that's why God created E-bay. "I'll tell you what's real satisfying...cash!" (Rodney Danderfield - Caddyshack)

I have sold over 225 items on Ebay and it can be hit and miss with collectibles, especially toys. Selling on Ebay is what has afforded me my tiki collection. I find I do better closer to Christmas and that window of time is pretty short!

I also sell at our local flea market once or twice a year. 28 years of collecting accumulates quickly!

PTD

TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 08:13 am   Permalink

I don't see a problem with your collection, except perhaps you need more things wrapped in cellophane.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-08 08:36 am   Permalink

Obsessivcompulsiveaccesivecollectivitus! I fear I am afflicted as well.

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 1:35 pm   Permalink

You and Mr. Smiley should get together and open up a store or a museum. It took him almost an entire year to move out of the Ugh House here the Bay Area to Las Vegas, and I and others can attest to that fact because we all helped him move! He put a lot of stuff in those moving Pod containers, but his vinyl record collection alone was so big that by itself it exceeded the 5000 lb weight capacity of the Pod container, and he had to get another one just to spread out the weight of the collection. And that was JUST his vinyl record collection!!! You don't want to know the details of moving his tiki collection!!!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 1:48 pm   Permalink

Hey Mai~

From what I have heard (and I do hear things) you are no slouch yourself!

Rock on with yo bad self~

PTD

Big Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 4:16 pm   Permalink

Oh, no sir!!! You're not sucking me into this! I've got my own abyss! Let's see, I collect: Tiki, Vintage Speed Catalogs, S&Ps, Diner Stuff, Albums, Slot Cars, Flamingos, Picnic Stuff, Car Magazines, Die-cast Rods & Kustoms, Vintage Christmas, Barware, Rod & Kustom Memorabilia & I'm sure I forgot something. I just sold a very desirable set of Hot Rod headlights on ebay for $1552.00! I paid $40.00 for them! I needed the money to take my kids to DisneyWorld, but all I can think of is I'll never find another set of those headlights. The profit margin is completely lost on me! I'm sick & I know it, but I don't want help. My stuff makes me happy! Good luck with your purge! Mine isn't going so well.

View Profile of Big Kahuna Send a personal message to Big Kahuna  Email Big Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-08 5:23 pm   Permalink

Oh, I guess I forgot about the vintage Christmas and Halloween stuff until I ventured up to the attic this afternoon...

Who knew there was this much crap?

Did I mention I collect stuff?

I am delirious from the heat, it is hotter than hell in CA.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am and insert Psycho ________ D anything)!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation