FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The poetry of Don Blanding / Vagabond's House
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
The poetry of Don Blanding / Vagabond's House
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-01 10:51 am   Permalink

May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-01 10:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-02-06 15:47, DJLee wrote:
Wow - excellent! I sure would like to buy one are you going to put any up for sale?

Yes! This!

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-01 10:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-19 13:57, Wildsville man wrote:
This will be the first Tiki Marketplace that Tiki Caliente will be vending at,and we will not disappoint. Some Items that we will have for sale.
Send me a P.M. if you would like to pre-pay for limited inventory pieces or to request me to bring a certain size tee.

1. Original still sealed Don Blanding Vagabond Red Wax LP from the 1940's for $25.00 Cash (plus fee's for paypal) I will only bring 1.
Check out the History here or look up the article by Kari Hendler in an old article of Tiki Magazine.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=28990&forum=1&start=0&hilite=don%20blanding

See you in a week,
W

You should have been at the Tiki Marketplace last Saturday!

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-01 11:59 am   Permalink

I wish I had been! But it's 800 miles away from me, and my feet hurt.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 5 days ago; 1:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-09-24 00:28, virani wrote:
In this great article "I'll be your tiki server" by Charles Perry, from 2001, the author shares your theory about Don the Beachcomber beign influenced by Don Blanding for picking his stage name. Very interesting. Sven, were you interviewed for this article ?

http://articles.latimes.com/2001/jan/17/food/fo-13069

it says :

In 1934, when he opened his original Don the Beachcomber bar in Hollywood (it started serving Chinese food in 1937), he'd never been to the South Pacific, so he was probably under the spell of Don Blanding, a writer popular in the '20s for his poems about Hawaii. Certainly Beaumont-Gantt didn't name his restaurant Ernest the Beachcomber.

Just adding to what Phil said. Donn's older brother, and the wealthiest of the family (he was Donn's partner in most businesses), Hugh Gantt owned and ran a pottery company in Hawaii called "Hawaiian Pottery" in the 1920s. Hugh's wife was the artist. I believe this was where the mugs came from as they had no marks on their works, only on the molds themselves. It was through his brother Hugh that Donn visited Hawaii.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation