[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Travel Tiki Roadtrip: Los Angeles-Florida
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Tiki Roadtrip: Los Angeles-Florida
TikiMookie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-20 8:22 pm   Permalink

I completely agree, Tiki Road Trip is the best book. Depends on which way you go, but we've been to Kon Tiki in AZ, pretty cool. AZ also has a new Trader Vics in Phoenix which is really nice. Expensive appetizers but great outdoor space with couches & firepit. Have a mai tai, "it's a moral imperative"...

Also, if you venture up toward Chicago, you must hit the Hala Kahiki, it's absolutely fabulous!! Hope it's still there...

Of course, once you hit FL, you must go to the Mai Kai in Ft. Lauderdale. Also awesome, see the dinner show, can't go wrong with polynesian dancers and fire. And they have great food too!

I wish I were going...

View Profile of TikiMookie Send a personal message to TikiMookie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 8:11 pm   Permalink

...the best laid plans of mice and men... I probably won't be stopping at too many places alone the way. I skipped a visit to Frankies in Las Vegas, I just get on the road and want to get where I'm going. I decided to take the I-10, so it looks like I'll be skipping the Dallas Tader Vic's as well. My Xterra is packed to the gills, and I had to leave a few choice items behind (like my Peavey bass and amp), but I know they are in TikiG's safe keeping. Maybe I'll get some stuff shipped to FL after I get settled-in.

I have Kirby's Kavakava Skullkeeper keeping an eye open for Da Fuzz, and Chongolio's Monkey's God Vision riding shotgun. It should be smooth sailing.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 8:39 pm   Permalink

Safe journey, Ray.

Take care of him, Florida. He's one of the good ones.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-17 1:17 pm   Permalink

Nice pic, Ray -

- keep the pics coming from your trip across the United States(as you drive through open areas keep an eye out for anything strange in the sky - like UFOs! - but keep your eyes on the road too!)

Have a safe rest of your trip. All my best wishes and good thoughts are with you, man.

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-17 1:27 pm   Permalink

TikiGodSpeed to you Mango !

Are you at least stopping at the Kon Tiki in Tucson ?

I'll mis ya bro'.

At least Mecca awaits you on the other side...the MAI KAI !!!

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-17 6:35 pm   Permalink

I went through some sort of time warp, I just stopped for the night in Fredericksburg, TX. Dang it! Looks like I'll miss the Mud Dauber Festival (a real event). I saw plenty of quilts, but no tiki...

I wanted to post that as I was driving through CA yesterday, I saw at least 140 palm trees in the process of being cut down. This was in Desert Center, where the 177 crosses the I-10, about 180 miles East of Los Angeles. Many of the palms had their tops cut-off already, and there were piles of cut and pulled-down palms (root balls intact) laying next to some heavy equipment. Not sure if the palms caught some sort of rot, but they are being taken out. It might be worth the drive for any carvers that are looking for the palm logs... don't forget your chain saw.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
huhutiki

Posted: 2009-04-14 7:58 pm   Permalink

Yes! The HalaKahiki is alive and well in Chicago. Actually about 20 minutes outside Chicago in River Grove, but thee best Tiki bar I've been to. If, by any chance, you find yourself in Sarasota, look for the Hukilau Hut on Osprey Ave, just south of Hillview. Shave Ice just like JoJo's in Kauai! His insanely Hawaiian decorated truck is parked in a parking lot on the side of the road. Worth the trip to see the truck alone... and the guy is super cool.

View Profile of huhutiki Send a personal message to huhutiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation