FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Wierd vintage tiki I found in someones front yard Ventura
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Wierd vintage tiki I found in someones front yard Ventura
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-12 09:18 am   Permalink

While on a house hunt in a funky part of Camarillo in Ventura County, I noticed a house with no less than 20 mexican fan palms that were about 5 stories high on a smallish house lot.

I scared the crap out of my wife (Just married 2 weeks ago) when I slammed on the brakes and squeeled, "TIKI". Being a good wife, she slapped me on the arm, as I reversed it, and snapped these photos.

Looks like in the backyard, there might be a tiki hut, but I'm gonna have to call in Bongofury for backup on this one.

Probably not the original owners there now, but by the looks of it, the tiki is aged a bit. Probably whoever planted the mexican fan palms 40 years ago carved it, or collected it.

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-12 8:52 pm   Permalink

I'd talk to them about it. It looks like it has been set out to be taken to the dump or something.
It very well may need old school "tiki mantra" liberation.
Cool find.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-13 09:03 am   Permalink

Hey Tony, I did the same thing to my wife and kids a couple years ago down in Oceanside....."TIKI".......quick u-turn.
Looks like a telephone pole from the pic.
Keep on sleuthing.
Congratulations on the marriage. You'll find that marital bliss is a lot like a high-wire balancing act.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-14 5:50 pm   Permalink

Holy crap man! You've got like Six-Million Dollar Man Bionic Vision and shit!!
Way to go on the find, hope you can uncover some more.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-16 08:20 am   Permalink

I thought Bongofury would have already gone to recover it, but he hasn't posted? I'll go by tommorow and if the owner's willing to let it go, I've got a new vintage tiki!

Ha Ha, bionic vision... I usually slam on my brakes for a crow or pigeon sitting on a plastic owl, so this was a real treat for my brakes! I wonder if the crate looking thing was tropical decor too! Maybe its filled with BeachComber lamps, fish floats, net, and rum barrels.

Live like a Beachcomber!

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-16 08:50 am   Permalink

Yes!! What's in the box that Tiki looks over!

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mymotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-16 2:49 pm   Permalink

probably something cool! tiki tiki.

View Profile of mymotiki Send a personal message to mymotiki  Email mymotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-07-16 5:10 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure where that is......Old Town? The houses behind Goodwill?
I have not had a chance to go out. Trying to get ready for the "Endless
Summer" hint hint.....I'll need your help....Enjoy your new find. Don't
forget to call new daddy SuburbanPagan for the house hunt.....

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-16 10:51 pm   Permalink

Bongofury, I guess you don't read your email anymore... the treasure map was sent to you, but its on Barry St. about half way from the Arneil and Lewis I think. Just look for way too many Mexican Fan palms on one lot about 5 stories high.

Oh yeah, Suburban Pagan!

I'll see ya soon, I forgot about those posts you need carved!

Endless Summer at the Rincon Room!!!

Live like a Beachcomber!

Naneki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 09:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-16 22:51, tikitony wrote:
Bongofury, I guess you don't read your email anymore... the treasure map was sent to you, but its on Barry St. about half way from the Arneil and Lewis I think. Just look for way too many Mexican Fan palms on one lot about 5 stories high.

Yeesh! I drive on Barry practically every freakin' day and I've never noticed it. I blaim the eye-rattling humps.

View Profile of Naneki Send a personal message to Naneki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 7:49 pm   Permalink

Looks like a fence post to me..

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 8:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-18 19:49, Tiki Trav wrote:
Looks like a fence post to me..

It probably was a fence post. You can see where the upper and lower stringers may have been attached.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-31 08:43 am   Permalink

Any update on this yet?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-01 09:08 am   Permalink

I went by yesterday to show some friends... its actually a little more dimensional than it looks from the front. From the side, its quite bizarre and good at the same time. I'm gonna swing by to see if I can get any more info and purchase it from them, or trade for one of my tikis. I'd like to think that this was the tiki that I saw as a kid which started it all for me. I played little league baseball right down the street when I was a kid, maybe I passed it and won the Home Run Derby when I was 14 on the same day?. My Mom worked right around the corner until I was 15, and took one of my first dates from a dance to the Dukes that was right down the street (no longer there). They had this burrito called the Burger-Burrito that I've never had anything like ever again... and I guess I never will because it must have had red meat in it.

Its one of the most peculiar tikis I've ever seen. Carving straight lines like this on a round log is definitely not natural or easy. The carver must have had wood working experience, but probably didn't carve too many of these. Maybe its a left over from the Trade Winds in Oxnard? Either way, I better do something before it ends up airbrushed like the Milan Tikis, or used as firewood.

Live like a Beachcomber!

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-01 1:01 pm   Permalink

doesn't look remotely like any tiki...just an old post that used to have a wooden sign attached to it....now that the sign is removed, it exposes the areas where it was connected....

i ain't buyin' it...but i will gladly eat my hat if you prove me wrong...get us more pictures of it...

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation