FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Bosko patio project- 07-07-10 update
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Bosko patio project- 07-07-10 update
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-07 02:53 am   Permalink

LOOKIN' GreAT!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 3:27 pm   Permalink

Thanks Benz! I thought there would be more of a reaction to the Bosko goodies, maybe they'll make more sense once people see them installed on the patio. It probably won't be for a few weeks, I'm not going to start that project in the current 100+ weather!

Well I've been staring at the tiki sconce in the garage for a while now and just did not like it as-is, so this weekend I did a little more carving on it. I put a coat of amber varnish on it afterwards, but it was too shiny so I hit it with matte lacquer. The finish is darker than I wanted, but I'm going to call this one done.

I also carved another fish, this one is from 2x cedar and is carved both sides:

The camera's fill flash came on and washed out the shadows, it's actually carved pretty deep. I'm going to let it "season" in the sun a bit before putting a finish on it. It'll probably get marble eyes too. I got Lowe's to order some redwood for me, it'll be here Wednesday. I'll carve another fish from that to see how it compares to the cedar.

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Lee's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 4:44 pm   Permalink

Good to see that you re-worked the sconce. As it was, you just did not go deep enough with the burn. It looks GREAT now and the scrimshaw adds a whole new level of "cool" to it that it needed. The fish are cool too! Good stuff!

View Profile of Tiki Lee's Send a personal message to Tiki Lee's      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-10 6:11 pm   Permalink

Great stuff here! Love the new carving on the sconce, looks really great. I really dig your fish too, very neat looking. Thanks for the detailed pictures on the cedar tests - it's really making me want to pick up some cedar and see what I can do! I especially like how the grain showed up on that one fish with the scales, it gives me a bunch of ideas!

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 10:13 am   Permalink

Hey TikiTres, Great work on the raised grain and lighting. Have you ever tried a burl like a black redwood burl? Keep up the great work and happy carving.

Black Redwood Burl:

Redwood Burl:

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-16 4:26 pm   Permalink

Lee, thanks very much! I started out pretty wimpy on the burning for sure, I've been hitting it a lot harder lately. It's surprising that you can really torch the heck out of wood and it doesn't burn more than the outer surface.

Mieko, thank you! I like those scales too, I've been messing around with carving different shapes/ patterns to see how they turn out. In most cases I can't even tell what it's going to look like until it's burned and brushed though!

Tikilizard, ooooooh purty wood I haven't tried burl, so far I've just been using what I can get at Lowe's. Where do you get big blocks like those?

Here's a few new pics:
This is the same fish I posted earlier (1x cedar carved one side), this is after letting it lighten in the sun a bit and sealed with clear lacquer. Also it now sports a marble eye.

Here are a couple of new ones, the bottom one is a whale that I patterned after a Witco whale. The middle one is the same one posted earlier after a couple of days of sun lightening. The top one is one I just finished today, it's the first one I've done out of redwood. The wood handles the same as cedar. The biggest difference is the grain (ring thickness in section) is a lot wider.

Here's an angled shot of the above showing the thickness. They're all 1-3/4" thick, carved both sides. These will suspend from wire in our gazebo.

There will be 2 or 3 more fishy "companions" to the above, but I've got another project brewing. My Van Tiki skull tiles finally arrived and are going to get built into a table. Pics to follow!

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-17 11:55 am   Permalink

TikiTres, Your fish cavings are great! The grain on the fish scales is exceptional. Getting the grain to flow with the fish is a real talent. For the type of work I do I get exotic wood blocks from ebay and they not that expensive. I do a search under "wood" +lumber, blanks or "burl" +lumber, blanks. Much larger access to different wood then Lowes. Happy Carving.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-31 09:14 am   Permalink

Lizard, many thanks for the compliments, and for the tip on eBay! As much time as I spend there it never crossed my mind that I could get wood there too!

I finally finished up the VanTiki tile table... well it's almost finished anyway. Once the grout cures I'll seal it and then it'll be done. Below are a couple of pics, it's still wet from the last sponging but it'll look close to that once sealed. This project started when I bought the tile trio from DVA Gallery, they are called the "Quiet Guardians of the Golden Idol". I set out looking for a table to set them in and finally found this one at Garden Ridge. It had a frosted glass top in it originally, that was removed and replaced with 3/4" exterior grade plywood painted with several coats of gloss paint for added protection. The tile trio was set on that and then the tumbled slate went around them. Grout is black sanded. I put it poolside for the pics, but it will stay under a covered patio out of the elements.

TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-05 07:51 am   Permalink

Wow, no love for the table at all? I thought it turned out decent. Maybe if I carved it out of a palm log it would be more widely received here I started the "Bosko" patio project yesterday (see previous photos), got the A-frame beam hung. Hopefully my schedule will allow me some time to work on the decking this weekend.

VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-16 6:57 pm   Permalink

Hey man -
Just got back from Vacation. Love the table! I mean, sure, I'm a tad biased
Seriously, though, it looks great. Fantastic work - and such a treat to see the tiles mounted!
Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-18 06:23 am   Permalink

Wow, that table is gorgeous Very nice use of the tiles

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-18 07:38 am   Permalink

Thanks Henrik! Welcome back from your vacation

Hewey, thank you! The tiles are really cool-looking, hopefully some day I can wade through the throngs of bidders on Henrik's eBay auctions and emerge victorious with a mug to keep them company

---------------------------

I am still working on the patio structure, it has been slow going because of hurricane Ike. Luckily it weathered Ike in it's half-finished state, but I had to let it dry before resuming the roofing work. At this point the A-frame (with Bosko beam) is done, all the decking is done, the sheet metal roof trim is done, roof is felted and about 15% of the shingles are down. I need to install the two skylights before continuing with the shingles. I haven't installed the Bosko columns or trim yet, I'll wait until the end to do that so they don't get damaged. Then I'll finally have some pics to post

TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-13 1:16 pm   Permalink

The Bosko patio conversion is just about done... well the first phase anyway Earlier in this thread I posted pics of the items that Bosko and Truus made for me including a pair of carved columns, a carved A-frame beam, the trim along the top of the cover and the skull in the center. Let me take a moment to praise Bosko and Truus, they were wonderful to work with and created these items exactly to my spec's and shipped them quite quickly considering the effort required to make them! The patio structure was something I built around 8 years ago; I pulled off the old plastic roofing and decked it, built the A-frame, roofed it with asphalt shingles (required by the neighborhood ARC), installed a pair of skylights and finally installed the carved trim and replaced the existing 4x4 columns with the new carved totems from Bosko & Truus. It's taken many hours to get to this point! I still have a lot of remodeling to do under the cover including building some wall panels clad in Lampac and Palm matting with recessed mug shelves, doing some kind of finish on the slab (slate maybe) and doing some electrical work. I have some cool carvings, a tiki bar and other goodies that will go in once the wall finishes are done, but until then here are some pics of this phase:

tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-13 2:30 pm   Permalink

Wow, so far so good. It looks great. Can't wait to see it when you've completed it. I'm loving that beautiful pool you have there also.. Nice..

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 10:45 am   Permalink

Thanks so much! The pool was a project from earlier this year, it was completed in March. Then we had a gazebo built (pic below), then we put in the landscaping, then did the remodel of the patio cover. I'm going to do all the above-mentioned work under the patio cover next and then I've got to do the Koi pond that will wrap around the gazebo, then the bridge connecting the patio to the gazebo. Not sure what after that, but I don't think this will ever be completely done! I didn't expect much of a reaction here because it's probably not "tiki" enough for most people here, but we're very happy with everything.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation