Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts New Tufa Tiki
New Tufa Tiki
Tiki V
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-17 2:34 pm   Permalink

First off I'm actually Alexdog1 who posted some pics of tufa in another post. I changed my screen name to be more suitable to the site. So don't go blasting Alexdog1 because that's me. Anyway, I just completed a new Tiki head and table top. The table top has an engraving of a hibiscus. Hope you enjoy.

In the beginning

Finished Tiki

Hard to see in pic

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki V 2008-08-06 08:27 ]

View Profile of Tiki V Send a personal message to Tiki V  Email Tiki V     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-17 4:57 pm   Permalink

Thats cool. What are you carving the concrete with? How do you prevent it from chipping or crumbling as you work it?

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alexdog1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-17 6:00 pm   Permalink

I use normal cheap wood chisels and some sharpened screw drivers. I don't have to use a mallet or hammer. I just dig in. It's not totally cement. It's a mixture of equal parts of portland cement, vermiculite, spagham moss and water. I usually leave it in the mold for a few days before I start to carve it but have waited as long as 6 days. Oh yeah my name is screwed up again.

[ This Message was edited by: alexdog1 2008-07-17 18:01 ]

View Profile of alexdog1 Send a personal message to alexdog1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki V
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-06 08:32 am   Permalink

A few new ones.

View Profile of Tiki V Send a personal message to Tiki V  Email Tiki V     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 08:38 am   Permalink

Nice work, they all look great!!

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 08:53 am   Permalink

Nice work! How durable is it once cured? I have carved cement, but it is pretty unforgiving. There is only a couple hours from when it is set up enough to carve, and when it it too hard.

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 10:22 am   Permalink

Nice! Loving the skulls one!!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki V
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-06 11:17 am   Permalink

It's really durable. I spray concrete sealer on them to help repel the weather. The moss in the mix will eventually erode and add to the aged look. I carved the Tiki head 2 days after I poured the mold and the skulls I waited 7 days and it was still workable.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-06 5:33 pm   Permalink

Nice aged texture, do you wash or pull the moss out to make the holes?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki V
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-06 6:54 pm   Permalink

The texture just happens as you carve. I do lightly sand the whole thing at the final stage. Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback.

Dirk Yates
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-07 10:40 pm   Permalink

Aloha!!

I have to say you have renewed my desire to attempt tufa again. Didnt have much sucess the first time around. Seems like you have mastered it!!! The detail you get from the errosion is so cool. Great work man, love it!!!

http://www.yatesstudios.com

View Profile of Dirk Yates Send a personal message to Dirk Yates  Email Dirk Yates Goto the website of Dirk Yates     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation