FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts 3/1 Ocea Otica's makins another one off zombie
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
3/1 Ocea Otica's makins another one off zombie
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-30 06:09 am   Permalink

YAY Cass!! It's so cool to see all this killer clay work happening on TC lately. Your new mug looks like a winner! I would love to visit the Muntiki studios sometime, those guys do some AMAZING things there! Have fun experimenting with the matt glazes...there is just soooo many different pre-made flavors on the market to choose from these days, it's a bit overwhelming. I need to start making a shit load of test trees.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravelingJones
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-09-27 1:35 pm   Permalink

View Profile of TravelingJones Send a personal message to TravelingJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-15 1:34 pm   Permalink

droppin in for a quick update, will probably be absent from the forum for a while. been fitting some handmade experiments in the mix as i can. they are dry, will probably go into the kiln by the weekend. Going with some rough textures. Hopefully they make it outa the kiln okay. Will post pics of the Asaro Mudmen Mask Mugs later, have some handmade and cast/handbuilt ones in various stages.

Skullitiva, a real gone primitive crude pinch pot rendition of a skull, reservoir around lip of rim to light up with 151

pinch pot Marq for glaze testing on this texture

pretty large handmade double Marq

[ This Message was edited by: oceaotica 2008-10-29 15:43 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-15 2:43 pm   Permalink

Diggin' those Marqs! Good job!

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-15 5:59 pm   Permalink

Love the new work. I've been wondering what you've been up to. Looks like a lot!

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiracer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-16 12:26 pm   Permalink

Those marq mugs are beauty. They should be living under century old jungle creeps...

View Profile of tikiracer Send a personal message to tikiracer  Goto the website of tikiracer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-16 1:14 pm   Permalink

I love looking at your work. Thank you for sharing.

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 10:36 pm   Permalink

Cass, It's really cool seeing you hand building. The Marq is my favorite of the two as well. Love the texture! Let's get together soon. I might be hosting the Chop in Nov...think you might be a go? We need to kick it together for a minute.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 01:05 am   Permalink

Great work Cass as always... gotta get together soon!

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 11:14 am   Permalink

here are the first cast/handbuilt Asaro mudmen mugs. they are dry and ready to go to the kiln. the third one i have done, not shown, still needs to dry a few more days before i do the finish work, but it has the boars tusks and teeth. hope you dig. i love making these. will do variations on the same masks. coloration will be based on the few colors i have seen in photos of the masks, i assume mainly based on the earth they use to build them. Also will make some from some other regions.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-29 3:36 pm   Permalink

Lookin' cool! What it the clay body on the Marquesan mugs? Looks like it has dark & light bits like granite? I've been playing with porcelain tusks for an upcoming Wild Boar mug, hope yours work out for you

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-30 5:55 pm   Permalink

You got a nice png posse going on! What's hiding in the background there?

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-31 07:38 am   Permalink

These guys are just plain awesome Cass!

The texture is "right on" with these guys! Can't wait to see how you approach the glazing.

Hopefully, you can make it down for the Chop. It would be great fun to kick it in the studio with you for a day.

Keep cranking them out brother!

OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-31 2:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Mad D, you had it figured out before i messaged you. Kaimuki, the background is a unglazed handbuilt Asaro mudman, the two glazed pieces are the handbuilt glazed skullitiva and double marq bowl seen on top of the page in greenware. Babs, hope to make it to your place in November. Really want to pick your brain about the process of rolling out and pinching those tumblers and odder shaped mugs. I really dig making the mudmen not only for the handbuilding on cast pieces, but also because i do a lot of add on texturing when the greenware is leather hard. Seems to capture the muddy textury surface that the actual masks have pretty well, though no reference picture i have found shows the masks close enough to really see the surface that well. Also gives and effect that sculpting alone does not produce well. We will see what happens, these go in the kiln hopefully tonight. I was a little impatient in the drying process, and had some surface cracking. we will see if my repair and retexturing fixed that issue after they come out of the kiln. Glaze wise, not really going crazy here, sticking more with the colors and look of the masks. Neat colors though, white with hints of blue and grey, a cobalt blue (what some PNG artisans paint the Asaro mudmen mud figurines), a slightly ochre yellow, and a sepia red. the fun will be doing work ups with the glazes themselves in stead of underglaze.
Alright, Happy Halloween, i am gonna get back to watching Hammer films and working on some new Vintage Beauty Monsters. Thanks again for checking out my clay makins.

Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-31 11:02 pm   Permalink

HoT PINK BABy!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation