FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts 3/1 Ocea Otica's makins another one off zombie
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
3/1 Ocea Otica's makins another one off zombie
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-04 02:12 am   Permalink

here is my third Asaro mudman. i put this one on the backburner, just got to some underglazing tonight. I kept the boars tusks a bit thick to give them some more strength.
Danny, funny, i just recalled as i was painting the pink areas on this mug that we had a conversation at the Forest Lawn opening about working up pink colors. This one should be right up your alley when fired. The color was a detail in a picture i had forgotten about. Works nicely on the mask this mug was inspired by.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-04 11:52 am   Permalink

Beautiful. I had to look up the Asaro mudmen to find out who they are, this is such an educational site Inspired by a mask...I like the way the eyes and mouth look open to preserve the mask illusion.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-05 5:45 pm   Permalink

MadDog, hope you got the chance to look up the Asaro mudmen. Such an interesting lore. These mugs are dear to me. Based on functional masks, of course a kick for me being a makeup effects artist, they are interesting to create because of the process of replicating and stylizing something so crude. These pieces are not elaborate highly detailed sculptures, which is a nice break from other work i do. This is more like model building/propbuilding/makeup fx/museum scene construction all roleed into one. Highly enjoyable for me. Sometimes its the simplest, rawest, crudest imagery that has the most impact to me. enough of my blabberin, here is Asaro mudman #1 finished.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GO TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-05 6:06 pm   Permalink

Cool Stuff, I like your ceramics Mahalo! Gogo

View Profile of GO TIKI Send a personal message to GO TIKI  Email GO TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-05 6:55 pm   Permalink

Great glaze, it it a multicolor crystaline or mixture of your own?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-06 08:01 am   Permalink

Thanks for looking GoGo. Mad D, thi glaze you are seeing is not a crystal glaze. Unfortunately i have found that there is just one or two of those that are food safe. The glaze on that first Asaro is a work up of a few different satin colors, so that crystal appearance is just hand glaze work. I think with a better photo it will be more obvious, i just popped one off last night real quick.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-06 09:39 am   Permalink

Yup, I just ordered a jar of Mayco Jungle Gems and found that it's not foodsafe. The Duncan Crystals (CR series, not the Crystaltone 200 series) contain no lead or cadium, they are not recommended for inside of food containers because of the texture but should be fine for the outside.
http://www.duncanpaintstore.com/nmclay-bin/shop.pl/page=c&c.htm/SID=PUT_SID_HERE

OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-10 1:57 pm   Permalink

Here are the final glaze tests i have decided to make the editions of. more pics and a little more info at
http://junkhaulersjunk.blogspot.com/

LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-10 2:34 pm   Permalink

I really like the middle two - when will they be available?

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-10 4:28 pm   Permalink

Yeah, gotta say, totally digging the red one!!!! WANT WANT WANT lol

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacksandz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-10 5:50 pm   Permalink

Super mugs, Cass! You have inspired every mug maker to hop on board the PNG train! It is great to see an appreciation of the South Pacific arts in these ceramic vessels!

The traditional Kapriman edition is fantastic!

Hope to see this Asaro Mudmen mug in the white w/blue & grey!

sandz

View Profile of blacksandz Send a personal message to blacksandz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-10 7:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-10 17:50, blacksandz wrote:
Super mugs, Cass! You have inspired every mug maker to hop on board the PNG train! It is great to see an appreciation of the South Pacific arts in these ceramic vessels!

I agree completely. Your PNG mugs have certainly caught my eye...

An extra little bonus that I see in the designs you have done here (and the glazes choices) is how wonderful these mugs are going to look with a drink and garnishes in them. I've been thinking a lot lately on how the garnish of a drink is a huge focal point on a cocktail, and how I can build to that so that the mug and the garnish work together visually in harmony...the color of the fruit, the green of the mint, the swizzle stick...all of that brings home a good drink in my opinion.

Your mugs here are going to make any drink taste better....right on Cass!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-12 10:34 am   Permalink

Hey, thanks everybody for takin a look and for checking out the blog. I am trying to reel everything in to cut down on some computer time in order to free up time for making stuff.
LOL, no firm dates on finishing the other editions, as i am behind and trying to pour up one a day.
Kahu, Thanks for your enthusiastic reply.
Mr. Sandz, haven't seen you around in a while, nice to see you here. Thanks for the compliment, but i think I am just finally making what influences me the most, and that that it has been a group effort to bring some much overdue attention to PNG from the ceramic end of things. Bosko was definitely the first of the recent wave of mug makers, his Sepik River vase, which I will always kick myself in the head for not buying (one of my favorite pieces by him, kicking myself in the head again), is phenomenal, Tiki Tony and Paul of Munktiki have also really been bringing light to that region.
I think for the mug makers and ceramicists there is unlimited possibilities because of all the regional styles and colors used. And that so much stuff is made for so many purposes there. Its nice to see this year that other ceramicists are bringing that influence into their fold.
The Asaro you posted the picture of was recently finished, in a similar variation of that light ochreish yellow, but met an untimely demise before i shot a finished picture. It was, as all three of those first ones were, a test. A test for color and for handbuilding on a cast piece. Still working some bugs out. From the sculpting to finished piece on those is about a three week time frame. So possibly by the end of the year i may have some available. Will be updating it on my blogspot, which can be seen by hitting the website button below.
Babalu, Thanks for the compliment, as form often has to be balanced with function. Kapriman is a nice wide open top, so garnishing will be easy.
Thanks again everybody. In the near future i will be putting up a post on the blog looking back at the PNG inspired mugs i have done so far, matched with photos of the carvings that influenced them, and some words on fighting the instinct to make a clean, symmetrical sculpture in an effort to keep it "primitive."

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-12 11:50 am   Permalink

Incredible mug and great glazes Cass...I'm a sucker for that classic red/black/white combo too. I've been buying up books focused on Melanesian art (as opposed to Polynesian, which was always my thing) and just letting it percolate at the moment - as you mentioned, the variety is quite overwhelming and compared tomany other cultures, PNG art is probably the purest in terms of creativity. You've really been doing your homework on these pieces and it shows.

I saw an incredible collection with a heavy emphasis on PNG art
here when in OZ recently. Now I just need to work out how to translate the intricacy and detail of what I saw into stone. The colours defnitely make a big difference - I may have to go the resin route again just so I can use paint!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-13 12:24 am   Permalink

Cass is a Gas, Gas, Gas.... I need a mug I will pm ya....

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation