Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Monkeyman frame for Tiki Wahine
Monkeyman frame for Tiki Wahine
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-20 11:14 pm   Permalink

Tiki Wahine has waited a VERY long time for this. I thank her for her patience and willingness to stick around.

First came the idea of creating vases on the sides of the frame to hold fake flowers. The drum seemed like a natural fit.
The head is real goat skin

then the idea for carving monsterra leaves as a backdrop for the fake flowers on the frame.

Some Real Abalone embellishments for the top and bottom of the frame for an elegant accent. I always enjoy doing the chiseled finish on the flat spots for more of a rustic look

Then the process of selecting some really nice fake orchids to compliment the frame.

since I dont actually have the original artwork in my possession... here is what it looks like empty

and here it is with a superimposed version of the burlap.

has a real "shrine" effect to it..

or the drums make it look like the rocketeers Jet pack.... depending on how you look at it.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-20 11:42 pm   Permalink

Fantastic! Love the drum vases.

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 01:31 am   Permalink

I love it too, the 3D gives a fantastic effect to the flounder painting.
Very nice job

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 02:16 am   Permalink

Simply amazingly beautiful !

Very good job.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 02:44 am   Permalink

Yeaaayyy, Monkeyman is Back carving and Posting!
Another Incredible Frame Derek, you always manage to get the Colors Just Right and the little extra details that are So You are just Perfect.
What else have you been up to lately?
Thanks for the bit of Sunshine today.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 06:22 am   Permalink

Great work, Derek. As always.
I don't know how you continually come up with more and more wacky ideas that work.
So many great artists here.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 09:05 am   Permalink

thanks everyone... the kind feedback always helps me stay motivated.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 09:10 am   Permalink

Holy cow! That did take a VERY long time. I remember when you were carving the drums with the 5" draw knife...

It's really beautiful, Derek. Thanks for sharing it with us.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTres
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-21 10:05 am   Permalink

Wow that's amazing!! I actually like it better without the fake flowers, it looks like the carved leaves are coming out of the "pots". Really cool!

View Profile of TikiTres Send a personal message to TikiTres  Email TikiTres     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation