FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Stone carvers use
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tools Stone carvers use
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 08:38 am   Permalink

My curiousity is peaking...I'd love to see what the process and tools you guys are using on your Jade and bone pieces etc. I did a search and didn't find anything.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 09:14 am   Permalink

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 2:17 pm   Permalink

Tempted to become a stoner SurfinTiki? You can also find a few tools/methods in the early pages of Paipo V.1 and Tamas threads.

ps: Hammer and chisel has been replaced pDrake - heres me in the first stages of carving a tiki-cave/grotto with my gas powered 'Partner K950 Diamond chinsaw':

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 3:55 pm   Permalink

More than tempted!
Yeah, I'm an idiot.. Aloha showed me a good thread, that was right under my friggin nose.
Just wondered though, what the bare bones basics are to work. Is this something I can afford etc.

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiwishaman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 4:08 pm   Permalink

Hi surfin

I asked the same questions, and the guys put me onto a few things. . . but i find what i use the most is my bench grinder - once i bought that and the diamond wheels, life became much sweeter.

so - a bench grinder - i bought a cheap but reliable one down at the hardware store - then some diamond wheels - bought off a guy on ebay - who was it Tama??

Then you will need a dremel tool - i prefer one with the flexidrive, so i can work under water

then you need some burrs - diamond ones - and the ones i find i use the most is the 2mm and 4mm balls, and a teardrop one, and get a point carver if you can - they just are so easy to use! you may also find a flare helpful - and a point, and i like the big cylinders 8 - 10mm - great for getting in and removing stone you cant get at with the grinder.

so long as you can get slabs the right size, you wont need to cut them yourself - otherwise you need a saw with diamond blade - i use an old drop saw of an uncles, that i can use fully down like a trim saw.

you may want a small cutter for cutting off excess before you use the grinder - i find these pieces are great for my toggles.

lastly - you will need some sandpaper to sand - i use small bands that go on my dremel tool, and then progress to diamond cloth then wet and dry sand paper.

I have some picks on my thread of the things i use

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=24565&forum=7&start=30 and half way down the page

Please, Benz Tama or Paipo, any other suggestions?

Good luck Surfintiki

KS

View Profile of kiwishaman Send a personal message to kiwishaman  Goto the website of kiwishaman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 6:41 pm   Permalink

Tama, that's CRAZY!
Much thanks KiwiSham. I'm starting to think I will be trying it...sometime. Soon I hope. I'm gonna read up.
Oh yeah, I looked on ebay for jade stone, and didn't really see any blank stock kinda thing anywhere. So where does a guy in the Northeast get some?

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 6:42 pm   Permalink

Damn, I feel clueless!

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 8:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-24 16:08, kiwishaman wrote:

then some diamond wheels - bought off a guy on ebay - who was it Tama??

A good rundown on tools from KShaman. A seller I can highly recommend for quality diamond tools on eBay is
BUTW - Ive bought several peripheral wheels and a couple of sawblades & all have been very good quality Chinese tools at fair prices. Good selection too - 23 pages, check it!

Rock on..

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 8:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-24 18:41, surfintiki wrote:
Tama, that's CRAZY!

ps: I was joking; thats not me. But it is a real tool - for concrete cutting..

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 8:25 pm   Permalink

Apparently these guys supply good quality diamond lapidary tools :
http://www.lascodiamond.com/products/homepage.html
I'll add more later when I'm finished up for the day!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 12:35 pm   Permalink

cheap, cheap, cheap, not the best quality but for 50 bits the price is right. A good starter set to see if you like carving in rock

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36252

I have a couple of these sets and a couple of the bits are slightly out of round, but most are ok.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 1:17 pm   Permalink

For carving mediums (jade, whatever) search out gem, crystal and mineral shows. Search online for Rockhounding events or groups in your local area. You will be able to get some huge slabs relatively cheap.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 3:17 pm   Permalink

Wow! Cool, lots of info to help me piece it all together.
Question, Do I have to carve underwater. Do I need a scuba tank! what the hell?!
Isn't there a video out there somewhere? I'm a watch n do kinda guy...I hate reading, and trying to understand what they are saying.
Is the grinder for shaping the outline? Or for the actual carving.
Damn! I shoulda had Benz show me some of this stuff when I was over there.
Anyway you guys are great, and thanks for being patient with me.
I guess one thing I didn't mention, is I'm after doing New Zealand style flat pendant stuff, not like Maoi's n such, out of big blocks. If that makes a difference.

kiwishaman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 3:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-25 15:17, surfintiki wrote:

Question, Do I have to carve underwater. Do I need a scuba tank! what the hell?!
Isn't there a video out there somewhere? I'm a watch n do kinda guy...I hate reading, and trying to understand what they are saying.
Is the grinder for shaping the outline? Or for the actual carving.

lol

water is needed to keep the diamonds cool - so you only need running water - i just find it easier with a flexidrive, cause the motor stays out of the way of the water. I do mine in the sink - plug out, water running slow.

Tama -you up for a vid??

the bench grinder is for doing all you can on - one tip Tama gave me - that is my mantra, was - use the biggest tool you can for any job - great advice, and 5 mins with the bench grinder can save up to an hour with the smaller tools.

Sorry for the confusion - good luck!!

KS

View Profile of kiwishaman Send a personal message to kiwishaman  Goto the website of kiwishaman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 6:31 pm   Permalink

Cool Kiwi! Thanks, things makin' more and more sense.
Found these on youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG63ZO11bfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB2Py-x3LrU

OK, hopefully I can carve a LITTLE bit better than this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYVq55iRS5I

C'mon Tama, a little Youtube action?!

Hey Kiwi, I have a typical Dremel. Any clue what size shank that is? I can't find any info that came with it, or from their website. A while back I ordered a burr, and it was too narrow, I had to wrap tape around the base to make it fit.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation