FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Stone carvers use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tools Stone carvers use
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 1:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-18 04:19, kiwishaman wrote:

I have noted there is someone here in NZ selling siberian jade on trademe (our version of ebay), and there are lots of people selling off NZ jade at extrememly high prices - offcuts etc.

Steer clear of that seller with the Siberian - they are responsible for nearly all of the counterfeit bone carvings (ie copied from others' work) in NZ. Unfortunately tm doesn't give a toss as long as they are making money from it, and it would probably take a major court action as happened with ebay to do anything about it.
As for selling NZ jade at extremely high prices - guilty as charged! The fact is it's very hard to get any decent stone anywhere in NZ now, as it simply isn't being extracted like it once was and the price just reflects where the market is at. Small clean waterpolished specimens are very keenly sought after and I get prices I would've thought were crazy 5 years ago, and then those pieces are often onsold again by the person buying from me! You do get gnarly old pieces of unusable crud listed for $100/kg from time to time, but much of what I see sells for what it's worth.

Interesting that jade guide was posted -I found this one on a jade-related blog the other day:
Identifying fake jades
Not perfect and lacking some info, but a pretty good rundown of all the trade names that are out there...

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-18 3:41 pm   Permalink

Wow! So much good info to delve into. Thanks youz guys.

OK, CRAP...I knew the 1st thing I'd do, would be to misjudge something.
I spent $100 at Home Depot (crazy, I can't even afford rent!). Got the Flexshaft. Yay! Also got a Ryobi bench grinder with a 1/2" arbor. So I got a 1/2" keyless chuck...and of course, they don't fit. Different thread design. So how do you figure that one out?
The chuck has info on it...(1/2-20) which is 1/2" and 20 thread? The grinder only says "Arbor 1/2"
I'd like to be able to attach different things on that end of the grinder. Dang it!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sar1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-19 08:36 am   Permalink

There are two possible solutions to the 20 thread problem, you could try to find an arbor adapter with 20 thread, I could only find one here http://www.covington-engineering.com/electric_motors.htm at the bottom of the page or you could get a keyless chuck that has the adapter already attached and mounted to the motor shaft with set screws, http://www.grizzly.com/products/Motor-Arbors-1-2-Arbor-1-2-Keyless-Chuck/G5552.

[ This Message was edited by: sar1 2008-08-19 08:37 ]

View Profile of sar1 Send a personal message to sar1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-23 07:00 am   Permalink

Strike 2. Ordered and got the Grizzly Arbor Chuck. Doesn't work.
Called Ryobi, they say it's a 5/8" -11 thread. So I guess that it's an 1/2" arbor doesn't mean anything.
Sent a detailed email to Grizzly Support...we'll see if there's an option.
-dissapointed

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-23 07:59 am   Permalink

Hey Surfin, there was a Third option sar1 didn't
mention, an 8 pound or larger hammer, That'll make the sucker go on!
It's really hard to get those to match up, thats why it's better to get the threadless version with set screws , that way you only have to match up the shaft sizes. Hopefully that way you won't be getting the shaft any more!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sar1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-23 2:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-23 07:00, surfintiki wrote:
Strike 2. Ordered and got the Grizzly Arbor Chuck. Doesn't work.
Called Ryobi, they say it's a 5/8" -11 thread. So I guess that it's an 1/2" arbor doesn't mean anything.
Sent a detailed email to Grizzly Support...we'll see if there's an option.
-dissapointed

Ben was of course talking about a Ford wrench (8 pound or larger hammer). This may sound like a pain in the patuty but maybe you could trade that 1/2" for a 5/8" at Grizzly
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Motor-Arbors-5-8-Arbor-1-2-Keyless-Chuck/G5553 same price, just shipping costs, yea, I know it sucks but whatcha gonna do? I think most of us have had creative tooling problems like this, I know I have in the past. while looking for information for your arbor problem I came across a robotics site that had a step by step detail of how one person ground down a 5/8" motor shaft to meet the 1/2" arbor adapter size and they also flattened one side of the motor shaft for the set screws but, I thought that was more than you would want to do with a brand new grinder shaft.

Good luck on your next decision to solve the keyless chuck problem.

[ This Message was edited by: sar1 2008-08-23 14:51 ]

View Profile of sar1 Send a personal message to sar1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-23 3:57 pm   Permalink

Just take the whole shebang to an engineer and get them to make one of these for you and get it all balanced up - trust me it's worth it:

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 06:01 am   Permalink

Wow Paips-that adapter is PERFECT...so send it over to me! Yeah, I doubt I could find an engineer around here, who knows. I think the rep from Grizzly has me convinced to keep what I got and try to make it work. Thanks SAr1 for turning me on to Grizzly. Got their catalog, it's HUGE, like a phone book. Chock full o good stuff. It looks like Fender and Taylor use their machinery...cool. The support is really good too, I got emails, and then even a personal phone call, on a SATURDAY no less. He said I could go to the G5552, one size down, but with cost of shipping AND restocking fee , not really worth it. I think I'll try wrapping some thin copper sheets around the shaft, and try to work it that way.
Got a couple pieces of stone! Claimed to be jade...highly doubt it, but I don't care, these are kind of practice test pieces.
Still waiting for some other supplies I ordered.
This thread has been REAL good to me, thanks.
Hopefully other beginners can get some useful info off of here.

sar1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-24 10:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-24 06:01, surfintiki wrote:
I think the rep from Grizzly has me convinced to keep what I got and try to make it work. Thanks SAr1 for turning me on to Grizzly. He said I could go to the G5552, one size down.

Ok I'm confused here, a 1/2" is 4/8" which is smaller than 5/8" just 1/8" larger than a 1/2", so you are saying that the adapter end of the chuck is to large for the shaft or is it to small? If it is to large you may want to find some copper tube that will fit the motor shaft and the adapter and use it as a bushing. Find some longer set screws for the adapter check out this site it may help you out
http://members.tripod.com/bobgreiner/id50.htm . Good Luck!

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 10:37 am   Permalink

EXACTLY! That's why I feel like an idiot bonehead. The grinder says on the label 1/2" arbor. What's that? The arbor hole?
The Ryobi rep said it is 5/8" - 11. He's full of malarchy. That must be the main shaft within the grinder itself?
But yes, the G5553 5/8 is too big.
The Grizzly guy had me measure some stuff on the Grinder shaft.... total length of threads(along shaft) =5/8", approx. 8 threads in that space.
On the shaft closest to the grinder case, shaft was at it's widest, then where the collar to hold the washer, it drops to a little narrower. Then where the threads are, they are even narrower (very outside tips of threads).
Although hardware store clerk tells me this is a standard size for bench grinders!
TikiMango PM'd me to say he knows a machinist who could make an adapter in 45 mins! That's cool, but I think I'd have to send the grinder out, to make sure we have right sizes.
-I'm going surfing.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 11:24 am   Permalink

put your dremel in a vise.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 11:31 am   Permalink

Hmmm
Probably wouldn't hold a 5" sanding disc, or bigger.

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 1:16 pm   Permalink

it might hold a 3" disc. here's mine.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sar1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-24 1:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-24 10:37, surfintiki wrote:
EXACTLY! That's why I feel like an idiot bonehead. The grinder says on the label 1/2" arbor. What's that? The arbor hole?

Why did you get the 5/8" chuck when the label said 1/2" arbor?

surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 3:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-24 13:35, sar1 wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-08-24 10:37, surfintiki wrote:

Why did you get the 5/8" chuck when the label said 1/2" arbor?

Cuz the rep told me over the phone, that's what it was!
Surf was good! I feel better.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation