FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tools Stone carvers use
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Tools Stone carvers use
sar1
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-24 6:26 pm   Permalink

You need a piece of copper tube with a 5/8" OD and a 1/2" ID to use as an adapter for the adapter.

[ This Message was edited by: sar1 2008-08-24 18:31 ]

View Profile of sar1 Send a personal message to sar1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-25 3:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-24 10:17, sar1 wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-08-24 06:01, surfintiki wrote:
I think the rep from Grizzly has me convinced to keep what I got and try to make it work. Thanks SAr1 for turning me on to Grizzly. He said I could go to the G5552, one size down.

Ok I'm confused here, a 1/2" is 4/8" which is smaller than 5/8" just 1/8" larger than a 1/2", so you are saying that the adapter end of the chuck is to large for the shaft or is it to small? If it is to large you may want to find some copper tube that will fit the motor shaft and the adapter and use it as a bushing. Find some longer set screws for the adapter check out this site it may help you out http://members.tripod.com/bobgreiner/id50.htm . Good Luck!

Yesiree Sar Sir
I like the looks of that brass insert, I'm gonna try that. Thanks mucho mucho

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 2:51 pm   Permalink

Welllllll, since everyone's talking 'bout Jade quality lately, I thought I'd post pics of the pieces I just bought on ebay. I figured, get some cheap ones to practice on...and cheaps I gots! But I wonder what they are?
Here's the ebay ad...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160271829616&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123
and here's some better pics...

You can see my first little hole I drilled in the corner! How sweeeeet.

[ This Message was edited by: surfintiki 2008-08-26 14:52 ]

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 3:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-26 14:51, surfintiki wrote:
Welllllll, since everyone's talking 'bout Jade quality lately, I thought I'd post pics of the pieces I just bought on ebay. I figured, get some cheap ones to practice on...and cheaps I gots! But I wonder what they are?

*I can see that the online stone identification service/site that I was planning is going to be a tougher job than expected..

From here they all appear to be nephrite but dont quote me. How long did the hole take to drill? Is there any translucency to the darker slabs?

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 3:41 pm   Permalink

HEY TAMA! My Pal!! Thanks for chiming in.
I drilled for maybe 2 minutes? To get that little indentation! That was my virgin experience.WOOOO! Cool, but yeah seemed like a long time, now I know why this is HARD business. The darker slabs have very little transparency, but it DOES have some. Also looks like I got a crack in the more translucent piece. So that figures, they sell a good piece, but with a crack, and the other two...not even sure what they are.

COOL! an identification site! Cool!

Toataiaha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-03 01:48 am   Permalink

Try this method , it seems to work ....

Artists' exhibition Te Kaha-nui-a-tiki District High School, Te Kaha. Dr Doug Sinclair demonstrates traditional drilling techniques. June 1973

View Profile of Toataiaha Send a personal message to Toataiaha      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-03 07:20 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-03 01:48, Toataiaha wrote:

Artists' exhibition Te Kaha-nui-a-tiki District High School, Te Kaha. Dr Doug Sinclair demonstrates traditional drilling techniques. June 1973

unbelievable !

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-09 03:07 am   Permalink

Would THIS be any good IF we could get it here in the US?
The guy has several offerings that are expensive? maybe?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-09 03:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-09-09 03:07, Benzart wrote:
Would THIS be any good IF we could get it here in the US?
The guy has several offerings that are expensive? maybe?

Yep, nothing wrong with Siberian jade. Good quality stuff is as stunning as any jade Ive seen. Those blocks have been listed for the last few weeks - trouble is, only NZ stone is popular in NZ..

Im sure a decent US lapidary supply store would have access to this material.

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-09 03:39 am   Permalink

Thanks T, Figured there was a catch,as he has no NZ jade for sale! Not that I would buy chunks that large but it was just Odd to me anyway to see that much raw jade for sale, I just didn't equate the NZ jade thingie!
Thanks Again, Always count on the Master for the correct answers.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation