FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki BBC TV documentary | The Thirties in Colour (features South Pacific, etc)
BBC TV documentary | The Thirties in Colour (features South Pacific, etc)
54 house of bamboo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-07-24 11:25 am   Permalink

Watch again at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00cp456

Together with his younger brother Bolling, the American industrialist Harry Wright was wealthy enough to indulge his twin passions for travel and filmmaking. Both siblings collected and shot films that captured the world at a pivotal time in history.

They captured astonishing images acquired and filmed in the islands of the South Pacific, Papua New Guinea and Indonesia, as well as South Africa, Morocco, Palestine, and several countries in Europe, including Britain. These destinations were visited during the golden age of ocean travel, when the well-off could escape the Great Depression and travel the world on luxury cruise ships.

The Stevenson Wedding Mug by Cheekytiki, 2006

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blue.octopus

Posted: 2008-07-25 1:32 pm   Permalink

Many thanks for pointing this out - I've downloaded it from iPlayer to watch over the weekend. I wouldn't have spotted it in the listings.

View Profile of blue.octopus Send a personal message to blue.octopus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
54 house of bamboo

Posted: 2008-07-26 11:16 am   Permalink

No problem! I watched it 'live' and I was entranced... I hope you enjoy, too.

View Profile of 54 house of bamboo Send a personal message to 54 house of bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blue.octopus

Posted: 2008-07-30 12:07 pm   Permalink

It was a very good documentary - I wish they'd show more of the Wright films. I preferred the first part of the programme more.

Also the first time I've enjoyed watching a game of cricket

View Profile of blue.octopus Send a personal message to blue.octopus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation