FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Looking for someone to carve a large, light foam or fiberglass Tiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Looking for someone to carve a large, light foam or fiberglass Tiki
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 2:45 pm   Permalink

Hey all

I was hoping to track down someone in here who can carve a few large tikis for stage props for the Tikiyaki Orchestra either out of foam or fiberglass, or some other light substance.

If any of you talented carvers in here do this please PM me.

mahalo

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 3:52 pm   Permalink

Cool, How 'bout a massive one behind the drummer, Like Blue Oyster Cult did with Godzilla!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 4:34 pm   Permalink

Actually....We were thinking like about 18" tall, Like STONEHENGE...

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 5:22 pm   Permalink

COOL, 18" isn't too tall, did you mean 18 feet? That would be quite a job even in foam. I believe there are a couple companies in Broward county who specialize in that size piece and are set up to do it right.
I can't recall any names but check the local Yellow pages..
Now if it's 18 inches you want, I'm sure there are several local tikinuts who can do that for you.
Also check with wplugger here on TC as he has done some pretty Big foam tikis around!
Lookin' forward to a Weeki Wachee weekend!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 5:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-07-24 17:22, Benzart wrote:
COOL, 18" isn't too tall, did you mean 18 feet? That would be quite a job even in foam. I believe there are a couple companies in Broward county who specialize in that size piece and are set up to do it right.
I can't recall any names but check the local Yellow pages..
Now if it's 18 inches you want, I'm sure there are several local tikinuts who can do that for you.
Also check with wplugger here on TC as he has done some pretty Big foam tikis around!
Lookin' forward to a Weeki Wachee weekend!

That was actually a Spinal Tap joke.

Really what I want is 2 4' tikis in the image of our mug.

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 8:37 pm   Permalink

There was someone on here doing just that, foam carved tikis for one off rental (party props) or purchasing. And you reckon I can find the thread? of course not! They looked pretty good too!

Also look at how much they're going to be lugged around to different gigs. If they're going to do a lot of travelling, it may pay to get 'glassed ones, they'll be pricier, but a lot more durable

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 8:56 pm   Permalink

Hey Tikiyaki,
pm'ed you

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-24 10:26 pm   Permalink

I've done them but I'm having problems sourcing large chunks of the right foam.

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 01:05 am   Permalink

I rented some foam tikis from a place once that got them sprayed with that Rhino lining stuff they use for truck beds - it gave the pieces a really tough, sturdy finish.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 08:40 am   Permalink

For Benzart:

Ian Faith: Nigel gave me a drawing that said 18 inches. Now, whether or not he knows the difference between feet and inches is not my problem. I do what I'm told.
David St. Hubbins: But you're not as confused as him are you. I mean, it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ahvyna
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-25 09:20 am   Permalink

Curious- what IS the best type of foam for a project like that?

View Profile of ahvyna Send a personal message to ahvyna  Goto the website of ahvyna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 09:55 am   Permalink

Marcus Pizzuti.

He made this 5 footer for me out of foam. Great texture job.

I know he has made tikis for Tiki Farm as well.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 10:38 am   Permalink

That's the idea !

How do I get a hold of this guy ?

pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 11:02 am   Permalink

i've also done this quite a few times. i just used simple architectural foam blocks. a 4' x 4' x 8' block will run a few hundred. you could get 4 tikis from it. the guy i buy foam from sells cylinders as well. a 2' one makes nice tikis. you can get them rhino coated to make them last almost forever. then do a nice faux finish.

you probably know some hack artist that slaps skins that could paint.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 11:19 am   Permalink

..wayne coombs of mai tiki can make those foam tikis for you or contact the folks at barefoot hawaiian/tiki terrace..they make all their tikis from foam and/or fiberglass for their traveling dance troup stage show and for the interior of tiki terrace....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation