FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Marketplace Amazing "Havana before Castro" book now out!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Amazing "Havana before Castro" book now out!
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 6:54 pm   Permalink

This whopper of a 256 page book is chock-full with eye candy, vintage and contemporary. Glamorous exotic dancing girls of the 50s...

...And of today:

Yummy rum cocktails:

Cool night spots....

...that used to be frequented by celebrities and mobsters alike:

Classic cars:

and tropical modernism:

...like at the Riviera Hotel...

...or the Capri,

...the Hotel on which roof the famous swimming pool scene in "I am Cuba" was shot:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zvwLZOpxAFQ&feature=related

We also believe that the nightclub's exit scene was shot right across from the Capri at this club:

..because in the camera pan you can see the Capri's neon sign across the street.

Here is the link to order this fine tome from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Havana-Before-Castro-Tropical-Playground/dp/1423603672/ref=si3_rdr_bb_product

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 7:26 pm   Permalink

Been waiting for this book to come out! Thanks for giving the heads up on its release.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-25 8:26 pm   Permalink

Second that. Terrific heads-up.

Hope we may see you, and some other local Ohana, at the Hollywood Bowl next month for "A Night In Old Havana"...

and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-26 11:11 am   Permalink

could this be cooler!!!!! Its fresh inspiration I just ordered my copy I didnt want to wait until my birthday. I also ordered a book on graphics from the golden age of Cuba. seems like they would make a good set. Thanks for posting so many pics Sven . Im going to thoroughly examine each one! I guess I didnt realize therewas so much Mid centurey modern in Cuba. Dawn

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-27 5:44 pm   Permalink

A big thank you to everyone who helped to temporarily bump up this book to Amazon.com Sales Rank: #1,806 yesterday! That is a damn good ranking.

Cheers!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mrs Tiki Diablo
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-27 6:03 pm   Permalink

Ah Sven, this is so amazing ! Can't wait to get my hands on it .

View Profile of Mrs Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Mrs Tiki Diablo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 07:39 am   Permalink

Wow! Paradise lost. Ever been Sven?

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 08:24 am   Permalink

Me? No! (also see http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29211&forum=1&vpost=397030 )

virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 11:34 am   Permalink

damn, it is sold out, and amazon.fr says it's releising in September.
Thanks anyway for the info Sven.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 1:35 pm   Permalink

Whoaaa! That was FAAAAST! Very impressive...

Here's the next thing to do:
Once you get it, and if you all like it (and I know you will) please leave a multi-star (like 5?) review on Amazon.com. It looks good to have more than 10 positive reviews on there.... Mahalo!

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 2:18 pm   Permalink

..i did my part...ordered a copy the other day...i also ordered another book about cuba as well....can't wait to stuff my eyes full of this new book!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 4:33 pm   Permalink

What Sven said.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
catmomma
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 5:39 pm   Permalink

I added it to my wish list for when I have some money. Looks great

[ This Message was edited by: catmomma 2008-07-28 17:39 ]

View Profile of catmomma Send a personal message to catmomma  Goto the website of catmomma ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Tiki Viking
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-29 7:29 pm   Permalink

I was lucky enough to see the book the other night and it is truly awesome. The photos, writing and lay-out are all outstanding and it should appeal to everyone who digs Mid-Century Modernism, Tiki and retro in general. Can't wait to get my own copy to droll over. Thanks, Sven for posting those amazing photos and for the link to the "I Am Cuba" trailer on YouTube. And now, taking inspiration from the book, and to "celebrate" my first experience of a California quake, I'm going to mix up a couple of Mojitos.

View Profile of Kon-Tiki Viking Send a personal message to Kon-Tiki Viking      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-02 07:50 am   Permalink

I, too, got to see a preview of this book last week - a very, very cool book with great pictures of Cuba then & now - and some that show the same place back pre-Castro, as well as today. For some it's remarkable to see how much they HAVEN'T changed

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation