Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts swag lamp
swag lamp
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-27 1:36 pm   Permalink

here's a swag lamp i've been working on.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pakalolo Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-27 1:42 pm   Permalink

I like it - very precise work on the edging. Nicely done!

View Profile of Pakalolo Man Send a personal message to Pakalolo Man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bohemiann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-27 4:30 pm   Permalink

Nice job!

View Profile of Bohemiann Send a personal message to Bohemiann  Email Bohemiann Goto the website of Bohemiann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-27 9:33 pm   Permalink

thank you guys very much. here it is finished with blurry photos in the dark. need my tripod. the light is only 25watts. it casts great shadows on the walls.

i didn't take any in progress shots because it was all pretty straight forward. if there are any questions i'll be happy to answer them.

thanks.

View Profile of pdrake Send a personal message to pdrake  Email pdrake     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-27 10:08 pm   Permalink

Those shadows on the wall are all part of what makes this lamp crazy cool!
So moody and atmospheric!
Peace,
Peter

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 05:07 am   Permalink

..very nice perry- but try using a more muted/ frosted acrylic for the sides and you won't see the hot spots from the bulb as much...since this lamp is already assembled, maybe cut some frosted acetate panels to place behind the red acrylic......the shadow effect is cool too....experiment with that... perhaps a nice simple ku tiki face will look great as it's shadow reflects on floor and walls...

,,and in the future, there is a product available in a spray can at most craft stores that is specifically used for creating a frosted glass look..you can backspray your acrylic panels prior to installation....

keep going!!

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 10:39 am   Permalink

thanks, peter

thanks, dave, i know what you mean about the hot spots. i have other ideas in mind for other lamps.

Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 11:05 am   Permalink

way to "bring it" Perry.

very clean cuts on that pattern.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 11:45 am   Permalink

Perry,

Thanks for posting the pics of your lamp project. I'm in process of designing a swag style tiki lamp for a home project - very close to your finished work. I have often thought about the possible light and shadow effects a hanging lamp light could produce on white walls with ambient light turned off. One of your pics shows this effect pretty good. Again, Thanks for the post and the inspiration it has given me to continue.

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pdrake
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 10:44 pm   Permalink

thanks, tikig, i'm wondering if i can combine lamps with different color bulbs to create some real cool stuff. it's only a 25watt bulb, so it doesn't fill a concert hall.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation