FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Surf art (McGinnis 1968)
Surf art (McGinnis 1968)
brice_lu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-28 03:59 am   Permalink

Hi,

Just want to share this original painting I own. Not framed yet, but it sure has to be "tikified" !...

View Profile of brice_lu Send a personal message to brice_lu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikinomad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 06:52 am   Permalink

That's a sweet illustration!
Ma halo for sharing!

View Profile of Tikinomad Send a personal message to Tikinomad  Email Tikinomad Goto the website of Tikinomad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-28 6:05 pm   Permalink

Looks like you own a piece by Robert McGinnis who is most famous for doing the iconic movie posters for Breakfast At Tiffany's and the James Bond films Thunderball, You Only Live Twice, On Her Majesty's Secret Service and Diamonds are Forever. What you have is most likely a pulp paperback cover he made (he did over 1200). You should try to find out which one it is. If it is truly from Robert McGinnis, I'd guess you have quite a valuable painting.

Congratulations!

http://www.impawards.com/designers/robert_mcginnis.html

http://www.americanartarchives.com/mcginnis.htm

http://www.vintagepbks.com/mcginniscovers.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_McGinnis

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
brice_lu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-29 02:08 am   Permalink

Thanks

In fact, Tatto, I do know exactly which one is it : that's a cover he made for the Mike Shayne series, written by Brett Halliday for Dell books. This one is titled "This is it, Michael Shayne", N 8794, from 1968 (see image below).

... And, of course, I did know who was Robert McGinnis before hunting his work and before buying this piece (quiet valuable, like you said)... I've seen some other vintage paintings for sale but I really liked this one because of the surf theme.
Anyway, thanks for congrats & links (there's one I didn't know that shows great works I haven't seen before !).
I think I'll post it again when it's framed...

View Profile of brice_lu Send a personal message to brice_lu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
brice_lu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-29 03:10 am   Permalink

Other stuff from my private collection :

Upskirt Raquel for you guys... not Tiki but quiet tribal & sexy, uh ?!... (And yes, it's an original & signed full splash Spidey by John Romita sr)...

Some tikis... and quality books

Dave Steven's Betty Page magnets... look closer (yeah, I know it's tilted, but that's a part of the game)...

... There it is.

Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 08:35 am   Permalink

Cool you have the actual paperback and I have to agree that the surf motive makes it an awesome piece. I'm glad you actually knew what you had. I love McGinnis' artwork and it's great to see it in good hands. I'm very jealous.....

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
brice_lu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-29 09:01 am   Permalink

As The Cramps say : "you got gooood taste".
Yes, he's one of my favorite American artist and I'm still looking forward to purchase his art... but as time goes by it's getting more and more rare and expensive ! But hey, it's also a good investment (although I don't think to sell back at all)...
You also can search & collect paperbacks that have McGinnis art on cover, kinda fun thing to do, and less ruinous !

BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-29 11:13 am   Permalink

Gorgeous work. Thanks for sharing!

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation